Author Topic: Home sharpener  (Read 1488 times)

Leif

Home sharpener
« on: February 25, 2019, 07:02:45 pm »
Some of you might find this interesting:

https://www.monkeysports.uk/brands/sparx/es100-skate-sharpener-sparx?___store=hm_uk&___from_store=hm_eu

They can do hockey skates subject to min and max blade sizes, and some figure skate blades but you need an adapter. I bought one, and it’s the mutts. Mine isn’t the first in the U.K., I know someone who owns a small batch for commercial use. The sharpen is superb, I did my blades last night, the edges are perfect, and they felt beautiful on ice this morning. The machine is very well made, and it took me thirty minutes to unpack, align, and sharpen my skates. The edges were slightly off by 1/1000” at most, a couple of tweaks of the alignment knob, and now they are perfect.

It’s expensive but will earn it’s keep in three to four years: £6 plus the cost of a 50 mile round trip, twice a month, and a morning wiped out.

Incidentally, the Sparx CEO has three videos on You Tube explaining the development of the machine, providing a wonderful insight into product design.

WednesdayMarch

Re: Home sharpener
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 12:02:13 pm »
Wow!

I'd be too scared to use it.  Even if I am coping surprisingly well with an IKEA flatpack...  ;D
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Leif

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 01:15:05 pm »
Even if I am coping surprisingly well with an IKEA flatpack...  ;D

Blimey, respect. This is easier than an IKEA flat pack. That reminds me, it's ages since I wandered around an IKEA ...

WednesdayMarch

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 02:16:20 pm »
Bloomin' love IKEA.  Especially the cinnamon buns...

I built the big 5x5 Kallax unit yesterday and today I'm building the drawers and cupboard doors for it.  Plus another couple of smaller Kallax units to go either side, at the back of my studio.  Then I can store everything neatly and archive my vintage sewing pattern collection.  I'm not normally allowed hammers or power tools, but Spouse went out without hiding them yesterday and came home to a bit of a surprise.  No percussive maintenance was practiced and I only smacked things that needed smacking.  The dog wasn't one of them.

Tomorrow, however, I'm going skating.  Too much of this industry and people will start thinking I'm useful...

I don't think I'll be buying a machine to sharpen blades any time soon.  I'm still wussy with screechy things.  And blades are expensive to mess up, too.
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Leif

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2019, 10:42:10 pm »
 ;D

Mmm, cinnamon buns. Now you are talking my language. Can’t remember what the point of this thread was, never mind,

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy