Author Topic: Hockey pants - Hip protectors  (Read 1526 times)

username

Hockey pants - Hip protectors
« on: February 19, 2019, 08:49:05 pm »
Hello, I am an novice skater, haven't skated more than 8 times in my whole life, started not more than a month ago. However, I am trying my best to learn, I go often to the rink and practice. My first few times, due to falling alot, I always had too much pain, I started buying protections, right now I have knee/elbow/wrist pads, and they are really helpful. The problem is my hips and coccyx, I fall over them alot and the pain is unbearable. I do skate on an open rink, the temperature usually is a little bit under 0(-3 to -8), so a heavy jacket-pants are required.

I have searched on the internet, found the hockey pants, they seem very strong and supportive, but would I be able to wear them above a regular pants? Under a winter jacket? Are there any other options I have to fully protect my hips and coccyx?

That is also my first time using this forum, so excuse me for if I have accidently violated any rule. Thank you.

Leif

Re: Hockey pants - Hip protectors
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 08:11:46 am »
You could wear hockey pants but a) they are huge b) you might get odd looks from other skaters and c) the lower end ones offer surprisingly little protection in the rear as they are really designed to provide forward protection from pucks. I fell while wearing entry level hockey shorts during a hockey game, and suffered sever coccyx pain. If you want protection, I'm afraid you have to go to high end such as the Bauer 1s that I now wear for hockey training. A mere £150. And they are huge. For public skating I wear padded shorts intended for snow boarding and film stunts. You want some with a foam that is based round a non Newtonian fluid as it is much more shock absorbent than normal foam. D30 is the original brand, POC is the same idea, G-Form is another but not so protective. Demon d30 padded shorts are good value, I have a pair. I currently use Xion padded boxer shorts, expensive but very high quality. The coccyx padding is first rate, the hip padding less so. I have had days off work after falling without padding, but no injuries at all since buying the Xion shorts. Xion do have other shorts with more hip padding and perhaps when my boxers wear out I'll upgrade, but the build quality is excellent so they will last. If hip padding is essential, then the Demon are much cheaper, but not so well made and rather garish. However, these things are made to be worn under loose trousers. No-one knows I am covered in body armour when public skating. I really do recommend Xion, but I understand they are spendy, and others are cheaper. I do not recommend ForceField body armour, too hard, I end up with bruises from the hard inserts in the knee protectors. And as I've said, avoid shorts with basic foam, it really does not work unless very thick.

Leif

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 10:16:43 pm »
Hi, you sent me a private message with this link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0756F4SCG?pf_rd_p=1581d9f4-062f-453c-b69e-0f3e00ba2652&pf_rd_r=B6K4J75R6MBVH2CR3N2Z

I have no idea what those are like, but I suspect they are bulky, giving you a fat bottom look, and not so shock absorbing as d3o pads. These are the Demon ones I have:

https://www.amazon.com/Demon-FlexForce-Protective-Shorts-Large/dp/B005OBT4P2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1550700741&sr=8-1&keywords=demon+d30+shorts#customerReviews

I know the reviews are both bad, but I think they are excellent. Independent reviews in a German magazine found d3o worked well. I have fallen so many times on my backside while wearing Demon or Xion shorts and got up and carried on skating seconds later. Yes they are more expensive, but honestly my backside is worth it.  ;D

You might find some thing cheaper that works, maybe someone here has other recommendations.

username

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 07:25:29 am »
Hi, you sent me a private message with this link:

-

I have no idea what those are like, but I suspect they are bulky, giving you a fat bottom look, and not so shock absorbing as d3o pads. These are the Demon ones I have:

-

I know the reviews are both bad, but I think they are excellent. Independent reviews in a German magazine found d3o worked well. I have fallen so many times on my backside while wearing Demon or Xion shorts and got up and carried on skating seconds later. Yes they are more expensive, but honestly my backside is worth it.  ;D

You might find some thing cheaper that works, maybe someone here has other recommendations.

Well definitely they are worth the try, but unfortunately that seller dose not ship to where I am, do you think I can find the same on Amazon but sold or fullfilled by them(Amazon)?
One more question, when wearing them underneath of your pants, they are not too bully and not very visible, correct?
Thanks.

Leif

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2019, 08:13:27 am »
Well definitely they are worth the try, but unfortunately that seller dose not ship to where I am, do you think I can find the same on Amazon but sold or fullfilled by them(Amazon)?
One more question, when wearing them underneath of your pants, they are not too bully and not very visible, correct?
Thanks.

I wear track suit bottoms like these:

https://www.nike.com/gb/t/sportswear-standard-fit-fleece-trousers-NwTze1Gw/804406-010?nst=0&cp=euns_kw_pla!uk!goo!cssproducts!c!!!302968026958&ds_rl=1252249&gclid=Cj0KCQiAtbnjBRDBARIsAO3zDl92R0AgAUcPklIB85h4nEPBZmBmGQYk3y5PcWkn-vEmLRzosYJRbQkaAh-8EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I once took a very heavy fall when going fast and catching an edge on a deep rut. An ice coach came over thinking I'd seriously hurt myself, and she was taken aback when I got back up with no sign of pain. Later on she asked if I was alright, and I explained I had Demon shorts on. She hadn't noticed. So yes, they are invisible if you wear loose clothing. They might make you bottom look bigger, but it's a small price to pay. Xion shorts are even more inconspicuous, but they are expensive. I suggest you also ask on snow boarding forums, as they are I think the main users of these shorts. Ice skaters tend to be fearless. Except me. I'm a wimp.  :P Snow boarders might give you other (better?) choices.

username

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2019, 08:36:27 am »
not sure how to delete, sorry for double posting.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 08:52:24 am by username »

username

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2019, 08:50:54 am »
I wear track suit bottoms like these:

-

I once took a very heavy fall when going fast and catching an edge on a deep rut. An ice coach came over thinking I'd seriously hurt myself, and she was taken aback when I got back up with no sign of pain. Later on she asked if I was alright, and I explained I had Demon shorts on. She hadn't noticed. So yes, they are invisible if you wear loose clothing. They might make you bottom look bigger, but it's a small price to pay. Xion shorts are even more inconspicuous, but they are expensive. I suggest you also ask on snow boarding forums, as they are I think the main users of these shorts. Ice skaters tend to be fearless. Except me. I'm a wimp.  :P Snow boarders might give you other (better?) choices.

So speaking of protection, do you think which is better..
1) Demon Flex Force X2 D3O Men's Shorts - $99.99
2) Shorts Freeride – D3O [men] - €65.29

The xion look way more inconspicuous yes, but do you think they offer the same protection as the Demon?

Leif

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2019, 09:20:33 am »
I don't know what the second ones are, you don't mention the make. Something I forgot to mention, my Xion boxer shorts are thin apart from the pads, and do not get hot and sweaty. The Demon shorts have some non d30 padding in the hip areas which means they get hotter and sweatier. Not a deal breaker IMO but thought I'd mention it. I only have experience of two shorts so I'm no authority. I happen to prefer my Xion shorts, but I would like more hip padding and in that respect the Demon shorts are more protective.

I've never seen in the flesh the Demon Flex Force shorts you mention, so cannot comment. By the way, you need to search around, as shops often do special offers, or end of line sales. Unfortunately Xion are an exception, but Demon gear is often reduced.

username

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2019, 09:23:23 am »
I don't know what the second ones are, you don't mention the make. Something I forgot to mention, my Xion boxer shorts are thin apart from the pads, and do not get hot and sweaty. The Demon shorts have some non d30 padding in the hip areas which means they get hotter and sweatier. Not a deal breaker IMO but thought I'd mention it. I only have experience of two shorts so I'm no authority. I happen to prefer my Xion shorts, but I would like more hip padding and in that respect the Demon shorts are more protective.

I've never seen in the flesh the Demon Flex Force shorts you mention, so cannot comment. By the way, you need to search around, as shops often do special offers, or end of line sales. Unfortunately Xion are an exception, but Demon gear is often reduced.

My bad, the second one is Xion.

Edit; So basically, Demon has better protection than Xion? Can we come to that conclusion? :D
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 09:25:57 am by username »

Leif

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2019, 10:06:27 am »
My bad, the second one is Xion.

Edit; So basically, Demon has better protection than Xion? Can we come to that conclusion? :D

Not really.

The Demon and Xion shorts I have use the exact same d30 pad for coccyx protection. It works great. I feel the impact when I fall, yes it hurts, but the pain goes away quickly and I can carry on skating with no after effects. Without the pad I was often in significant pain, and sometimes had to go home. The Xion boxer shorts have small d30 pads in the hip area, which are not very protective. The Demon shorts I own have some traditional foam padding sewn into the hip areas which I feel gives a bit more protection in the hip area at the cost of being more sweaty. So in the case of those two shorts, yes the Demon is cheaper and more protective.

The more expensive Xion shorts have more hip padding, and are probably quite a bit better than my Demon shorts, but they are expensive.

The Demon shorts you linked to are not the same as mine. To be honest I could quite happily have carried on using the Demon shorts but because I play hockey I need something lighter to wear beneath my hockey shorts for extra protection. I'm 55 and feel falls more than youngsters  :-[

But do please ask on snow boarding forums, you will benefit from more experiences.  :)

username

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2019, 10:21:56 am »
Not really.

The Demon and Xion shorts I have use the exact same d30 pad for coccyx protection. It works great. I feel the impact when I fall, yes it hurts, but the pain goes away quickly and I can carry on skating with no after effects. Without the pad I was often in significant pain, and sometimes had to go home. The Xion boxer shorts have small d30 pads in the hip area, which are not very protective. The Demon shorts I own have some traditional foam padding sewn into the hip areas which I feel gives a bit more protection in the hip area at the cost of being more sweaty. So in the case of those two shorts, yes the Demon is cheaper and more protective.

The more expensive Xion shorts have more hip padding, and are probably quite a bit better than my Demon shorts, but they are expensive.

The Demon shorts you linked to are not the same as mine. To be honest I could quite happily have carried on using the Demon shorts but because I play hockey I need something lighter to wear beneath my hockey shorts for extra protection. I'm 55 and feel falls more than youngsters  :-[

But do please ask on snow boarding forums, you will benefit from more experiences.  :)

Appreciate the great help, thanks alot.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy