Author Topic: Fear of falling  (Read 1736 times)

AnabelleMom

Fear of falling
« on: January 11, 2019, 03:02:44 am »
Anabelle finished her Skate UK in April and since then she has been practicing loop jump and has a huge problem with this jump. She jumps it off ice without a problem, but on ice she can't, because she is frightened by the fear of falling.
Anabelle is a very delicate girl and she's terribly afraid of falling. She skating about 18 months,  now preparing for competitions in Blackpool and still every stumble causes her to cry and panic. Together with her coach, we think how to overcome this problem, does anyone have an idea?
I forgot to add Anabelle is 8 years old. She had her first solo show at the Christmas show and she went perfectly, but she did the loop jump :(
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 03:07:45 am by AnabelleMom »

transmissionoftheflame

Re: Fear of falling
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 07:43:44 am »
First of all good for your daughter for achieving what she has and good for you for supporting her.  It's such a rewarding pastime.  From what you describe it doesn't sound like she suffers from a general debilitating fear of falling otherwise she would not have passed tests and performed in shows.  If she's working on the loop jump it presumably means she's doing the other jumps one normally learns before loop.  So she knows how to leave the ice and land.  Therefore it sounds more like a specific problem with the loop - maybe because it requires that extra bit of rotation or because of the specific mechanics of the jump.  I find the loop awkward, despite having been doing it for years.  With me, what I find challenging about it is the feeling of havng your legs crossed going into the jump and for the takeoff, and not having the left leg (assuming you jump anti clockwise) free to touch down if the jump doesn't go well - I tend to fligh my left leg out much too early instead of kicking up and back at the end.  Perhaps this is true for Anabelle, or perhaps there is some other aspect of the jump that makes her feel unsafe.  A lot of skating is about overcoming mental blocks of this sort, at least for me.  Sometimes the blocks are just in the mind, and there's really nothing to worry about, sometimes your brain tells you something is unsafe because it actually is and you need to correct your technique to make it safe.  So maybe try to focus on what aspect of that jump as opposed to others is unpleasant, and devise some exercises to overcome it - one thing I have often seen advised is to skate along backwards on right foot with left foot crossed in front, then lift and kick out backwards with left foot.  Or work on backspin.  Patience is required I think to gradually overcome blockages - some people never learn to do crossovers because of this kind of blockage, not wanting to be crossed over with your legs.  And by all means work hard on it but try not to make every skating session just about that - try and enjoy and progress with the other aspects.  I am a slow learner .  I am improving, but gains are tiny week on week, then sometimes a breakthrough after months.  Sometimes I drop things for ages and come back to them and suddenly find they are much better.  Sometimes not.  I am kind of stalking some of these things I find awkward.  Another thing to avoid is practicing bad technique because it just reinforces whatever is wrong - so maybe find a prepatory exercise that helps with the loop that your coach gives you, that you are able to do correctly on your own in practice, and work on that until it's easy for you, then move on to something else.  Good luck!  It builds character in skater and parent (I am both).  My daughters are way better than me now, I get free coaching from them!

Leif

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 08:15:15 am »
One option is pads, for the knees and elbows for sure, and perhaps the coccyx. I need the backside padding but a youngster might not. Pro-tec skate boards pads are relatively cheap and effective, but a bit obvious. G-form pads are less protective, but they can be worn underneath regular clothing, assuming it's not skin tight. They can be found for reasonable prices if you shop around, my elbow pads cost £35, well worth the money. Last Sunday I caught an edge while skating fast and transitioning from backwards to forwards, and I landed hard on both knees. The steward didn't believe me when I said I was okay until I mentioned that I was wearing pads. Without doubt if it wasn't for the Xion d3o knee pads I would have been in considerable pain.

Apart from that, well done both of you. The jumps a figure skating friend does scare me!

black

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 06:44:31 pm »
Does your coach have a 'fishing pole'? Something like this -> http://www.pro-motionharness.com/handheld.html

A one-off lesson with a different coach might help in approaching the learning of the jump.

Do you watch her skate? Is she under pressure to do well, from the coach and other skaters?

I second what Leif say about pads; particularly if there is a spot that gets repeated knocks.

Lastly, remember; everybody falls - it's okay.
The greatest trick figure skaters ever pulled, was convincing the world it was easy.

AnabelleMom

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 01:34:07 am »
 Thanks for the answers.
 transmissionoftheflam
 Thank you, I support my daughter and help as much as I can. I record her training and repeat it with her.
 Anabelle  is specific, she is  right handed, but she jumps and spins into the left side, maybe it's also a problem as well. I once showed her coach how Anabelle jumps right and left side and her coach, choose the right side. It's worth adding that with the backspin it also has a problem.
Leif, Anabelle said that I would not put on any pads because: I do not need this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 Black, yes, but she use harness only for jumps axle and double jump,

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2019, 10:31:38 am »
Maybe a harness session on the loop would be useful? My coach has had me in the harness for 3 jumps, to help with some of my apprehension around falling. I found it quite helpful.
Inclusive Skater :)
IS Masters FD World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Pairs Level 2 World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Free Skate Level 3 Bronze Medalist 2021 🥉

WednesdayMarch

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 08:01:23 pm »
Not every discipline has jumps.  Maybe she'd like ice dance better...? :)
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

AnabelleMom

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2019, 01:14:14 am »
Today she jumped loop Woohoo. She even made 6 turns in the sit spin . Im super proud of her.

WednesdayMarch

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2019, 10:37:25 pm »
Today she jumped loop Woohoo. She even made 6 turns in the sit spin . Im super proud of her.

Oh, that's wonderful!  I bet she's quite proud of herself - and quite rightly!
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

AnabelleMom

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2019, 11:58:29 pm »
Yes, Im so proud of her.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy