Author Topic: Boot baking?  (Read 453 times)

Jako999

Boot baking?
« on: January 04, 2019, 10:25:46 PM »
Hi all I have just had delivered a pair of CCM 9060. The shop I got them from is 80 miles away I went up before Christmas and had my feet measured and tried them on but then waited to order them on boxing day as the was 25% off which brought them down to a bargain £180.

I'm only ever going to use them for recreational and have not yet been on the ice in them but have been sat in my lounge with them on. The out side of my right foot alway get painful even in shoes as I have sciatica. The ide was for me to get the boots then home bake them to get a realy  good fit but now I'm just not sure I want to do it I'm  a bit worried, I'm beginning to think about doing another 160 mile round trip just to get them baked.

Am I being stupid about being worried and should stick the in my domestic home oven and get on with it, is it really worth baking them and so on?
I don't  mind the 3 hour drive stuck in traffic  or even the £35 of fuel but is it all worth it?
Thanks in advance.
Martin

Leif

Re: Boot baking?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 09:24:22 PM »
I baked, or heated, my skates twice at home to improve the fit. Mine can take three bakes at most. I know someone who used his gas oven.  ;D Yes, he melted the tendon guards. Heís not exactly an intellectual. You need an electric oven, convection is best, and for Bauer itís 80 Celcius for three minutes. Then put on the skates, lace them up, but pull the laces outwards so as not to damage the eyelets. Donít tighten fully, about 80%. Best to sit with legs and feet upright ie not tilted. One issue is the actual oven temperature. You can get an oven thermometer to check. There are online guides, worth a Google.

I stood up when I wore my heated skates, I wanted to widen them a bit more. But the legs must be straight and upright with no knee or ankle bend.

CCM might be different though.

Isnít there a shop nearer? They usually charge about £10 for baking.