Author Topic: Going to treat myself to new skates!  (Read 3826 times)

AbiJ

Going to treat myself to new skates!
« on: January 04, 2019, 12:01:57 pm »
Hello all, I don’t often post here but I read a lot of posts 😊 I’ve finally decided to treat myself to some new skates, will be booking a fitting at Everglides as soon as kids go back to school and was wondering what boots skaters here would recommend? I’m nearly finished Skate uk star free skating , I have 2 elements of gold left to do. I currently skate in Graf 500s.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 12:07:21 pm by AbiJ »

transmissionoftheflame

Re: Going to treat myself to new skates!
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019, 02:48:36 pm »
Without wishing to be flippant, I recommend boots that fit you really well.  Try on everything in the shop, and if nothing feels right get them to order in models/sizes that seem like a likely good fit, if they'll agree to it.  Try on every model and I would say at least three sizes in each model - one that is definitely too small, one that is definitely too big and then you know which one actually fits you.  Don't be pressured into buying if you are not convinced.  Spend a while standing in them, and bending.  Undo the laces almost completely and redo them up again.  A lot of boots come laced too tightly so you can hardly get your feet in, which leads people to buy boots that are too big.  I unlace my boots loose all the way to the toes so I can get my feet in without too much effort.  The foot should clunk snugly into the boot without the need for lacing.  Pay attention to where your toes are on the insole - take it out - and to how your heel is gripped.  Some boots can be punched around the ankle if they fit well otherwise but bother your ankle.  Ask about different width fittings and try those on too if they have them.  It's a big purchase and whether your boots are right or wrong makes a massive difference to your skating and foot health.  I don't think it is worth spending less than £100.  How much more you spend on boot and blade is up to how much money you have and whether the boots work for you.  Depending on your weight and skating style and what level you plan to reach you possibly don't need super stiff boots, but I think anyone who wants to skate decently needs stiffer boots than 500s.  I would say a minimum would be something like Edea Overture or Risport RF4 or I think Lite as it is called now.  I'm not convinced it's worth spending a fortune on blades.  You could go for Coronation Ace but probably the MK IV blades that are often used on more entry level skate are adequate.

AbiJ

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 04:15:19 pm »
Thanks for that, all good sound advice. I already have coronation ace blades so will be hoping to transfer those to the new boots. At first glance in the shop the other day I did like the look of the Jackson debut although I haven’t tried them yet, but they look to have a lot of padding which I think can only be a good thing. My coach swears by Edea and skates in pianos, I think they are a bit out of my price range tho! I’m setting myself a limit of around £250 ish.
Oh I should add I’m 5’5 and weigh 130ibs. As an adult skater I’m under no illusions of getting to elite level, I just want a pair of skates that will take me as far as I can go comfortably and effectively.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 04:19:33 pm by AbiJ »

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 04:24:26 pm »
Edeas are nice and light and in my experience super easy to break in, but don't suit everyone's feet.  Good luck.

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2019, 02:13:41 pm »
I have the Debut with Coronation Ace blades, a lovely boot of Jackson works for your feet. I’m currently on bronze so they’ll last me a good while yet.
Inclusive Skater :)
IS Masters FD World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Pairs Level 2 World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Free Skate Level 3 Bronze Medalist 2021 🥉

AbiJ

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2019, 08:58:03 pm »
I have the Debut with Coronation Ace blades, a lovely boot of Jackson works for your feet. I’m currently on bronze so they’ll last me a good while yet.
That’s good to hear! I must admit to being in love with the Edea Piano but they are soooo expensive. I’ll let you know how I get on with the fitting 😊

ceiliaanne

• Carnage on ice
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 04:53:35 am »
Honestly, unless you weigh about ten stone and are knocking out triples/working on quads, you probably don't need the strength of the Piano.  Be guided by the fitter.  An over strong boot will hinder your progress and can cause you injury.
'There's no one in the world harder to please than a skate coach' - Peppermint Patty

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019, 08:10:34 am »
Personally and through close friends and family I have come into contact with quite a number of fitters/shops, some of whom seem to have good reputations, and have found none of them especially helpful.  I only really trust my own sensations.  The trouble is, it's hard to know what the right boot is until you have skated in it.  I would be more inclined to trust a coach, though any coach who strongly advocates one make of boot over another I would be suspicious of.
Regarding "overbooting", this gets talked about a lot but I would love to see someone explain to me exactly in what way getting quite stiff boots is a problem.  Exactly does it do to you that is bad, or prevent you from doing that you need to do?  I skate in Chorus and weigh 11st and they are plenty stiff enough for me, but equally I have a friend who weighs probably 10st who skates in Pianos, does single jumps only, and loves them, has no problems with them and is making excellent progress.  They don't stop her from bending her ankles.  See former World Champion Patrick Chan on how to lace them to allow for bending: https://ice.edeaskates.com/en/video/lacingedeaboots/

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2019, 08:26:03 am »
That said, I am equally not sure if the considerable extra money for Piano over say Chorus is warranted.  Unless they fit a lot better.  The basic mould looked the same to me.  I would want to understand the premium features I am paying a premium price for.

Leif

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2019, 10:10:02 am »
One point worth mentioning is that the staff at EverGlides do teach ice skating. I think she teaches speed skating, and he might teach figure skating, I'm not too sure of the details. Anyway, if you find there is a skate you like, but they do not have the size if stock, you should push them to get one in stock for you to try on a "no fit no buy" basis. As others have said, try as many models and sizes as you can. You've already been given good advice above, but there are also online guides that explain how to check for a good fit. I know how to do this with hockey boots (the finger at the back test, the pencil test, the toe feather test, the heel lock test) but I won't explain in case it's different for figure skates. But things to look out for are that your heel is locked in place, your toes are not far from the end, and the width at the forefoot is okay.

AbiJ

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2019, 03:29:01 pm »
Thanks for all the advice, I got my new skates yesterday. I wish I could say I love them but I really don’t! I tried several Edeas, risports and Jackson’s and despite loving the Edea overture and loving even more the ice flys I  ended up getting Jackson debut firm- the deciding factor was really that I could transfer my coronation ace blades which sadly were too long for the Edeas. My first skate was horrible though, I felt unstable and like I’d lost a couple of months progress, it’s so depressing 😔

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy