Author Topic: Going to treat myself to new skates!  (Read 3828 times)

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

Re: Going to treat myself to new skates!
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2019, 04:44:21 pm »
I promise, it gets better! I felt like that my first time skating in my Debuts. How is the fit? That’s the most important thing.
Inclusive Skater :)
IS Masters FD World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Pairs Level 2 World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Free Skate Level 3 Bronze Medalist 2021 🥉

AbiJ

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2019, 04:56:51 pm »
I promise, it gets better! I felt like that my first time skating in my Debuts. How is the fit? That’s the most important thing.
Oh I do hope so! The fit felt good in the shop after baking, on the ice tho I felt like I couldn’t get enough flex in the ankle and have a pressure point on my right ankle bone. The worst part though was being unable to tighten them enough to feel stable, even after 3 attempts! When I had my fitting they said I have very high arches and looking at wear on my old boots said I pronate  slightly, I’d never noticed the pronation but did suffer from arch pain. Today I had pain in my right arch and my left foot looked and felt like it was tipping inwards.
I’m hoping they will just take some getting used to ☝🏻

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2019, 06:21:33 pm »
Well you could try them for a few weeks and see if they get any better and if not then sell them and get the Edeas, with new blades.  If you love to skate then skating in boots that don't work for you is a big shame.

AbiJ

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2019, 06:40:41 pm »
Well you could try them for a few weeks and see if they get any better and if not then sell them and get the Edeas, with new blades.  If you love to skate then skating in boots that don't work for you is a big shame.
Yes that’s an option, I would prob lose a lot of money on them though. Hopefully I’ll grow to love them.

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2019, 07:53:43 pm »
I know some people who have had no trouble with their skates from the start and some who have had lots.  Losing money is an occupational hazard I'm afraid.  I guess it depends on how much spare money you have, what your priorities are and how much you love skating.  It's a big thing for me so I'd spend the money.  I don't want to have to think about painful feet or boots that don't work every time I skate.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2019, 12:15:07 pm »
Thanks for all the advice, I got my new skates yesterday. I wish I could say I love them but I really don’t!  ... My first skate was horrible though, I felt unstable and like I’d lost a couple of months progress, it’s so depressing 😔

Oh, the first skate is almost always ghastly and you think you've made a terrible mistake.  I felt exactly like that with my new boots this time last year - and it was worse, because I had to buy new MK Dance blades to fit them! - but after a while (and putting a pair of socks on), I suddenly absolutely loved them and still do.  Keep at it.  It will get better.  You'll get used to "different feet".
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

AbiJ

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2019, 01:13:06 pm »
That’s comforting to hear WednesdayMarch, I really hope it doesn’t take me too long to get used to them. I’m worried about the way my left foot tilts in them tho, I think if it’s the same on the next skate I’ll contact Everglides and get them to have a look. The worst of it is I got the new skates in the hope of them giving me a bit more confidence- I’m so close to finishing gold -but after that horrendous skate when I couldn’t spin anymore, or salchow properly I think they’ve had the opposite effect! I should’ve moved on from my Graf 500s ages ago but put it off because I was scared this would happen!

Leif

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2019, 01:23:45 pm »
If they've changed your balance point, or some other parameter, then you'll need some time to adapt. 

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2019, 02:05:04 pm »
I’m worried about the way my left foot tilts in them tho, I think if it’s the same on the next skate I’ll contact Everglides and get them to have a look.

Definitely do that.  It may be that you need an orthotic for that foot or just the blade moving slightly.  As a first check, try gliding forwards with your feet parallel and touching.  If one foot tries to disappear underneath the other (the only way I know how to describe it!) then the blade needs moving.

Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Kateskater123

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2019, 12:50:56 pm »
I wouldn’t worry about the first skate in new boots, it’s always a horrible experience!  The main thing is are the boots comfortable?  Do you feel stable?  Is there any foot in boot movement ? 

If the boots fit and are comfortable then you will soon get used to being in the new boots. 

I recently returned to the ice after 20 years in a pair of Edea Chorus with the coronation ace blade and initially felt so unbelievably wobbly.  After a week or two I felt secure on the blades despite the fact the boots killed my feet and made me reluctant to knee bend or even do crossovers. 

So I’ve bought new boots, Graf Bolero which are massively more comfortable, feel very stable and are not excessively stiff like the Chorus.  It was the stiffness level that was the issue.  Actually looking forward to getting back next week. 

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy