Author Topic: Newbie boot help please  (Read 1333 times)

Jako999

Newbie boot help please
« on: December 15, 2018, 11:07:39 pm »
Hi and sorry to start off with a silly question. I used to skate many years ago 30 to be precise and am now thinking of getting back into it. I prefer hockey boots but will only ever use them for recreational use and even then it will only be 2 or 3 times a month. So the big question is what boot to go for these days so far I have looked a couple of cheap ones Bauer NSX and Graf supra 1035, out of these two does any one know which are the better? I know it's down to which fit best but I will have to order the boots and pay postage costs for returns or am I being stupid wasting my money at this low sub £100 market should I be looking at spending up to the £200 mark? There again is that stupid because I need to spend around £400 to make the jump worth while.
Any advice please and thanks in advance.

Leif

Re: Newbie boot help please
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 03:36:12 pm »
It really does depend on what you want to do. If your aim is to go round in circles and do little more, then low end skates will be fine. If however you want to learn to skate properly, or improve your skating if already good, then low end skates just won't do. They won't provide enough support for you to do much beyond very basic skating. After all a pair of half decent runners costs ~£60. Hockey skates generally split into low end, mid range, and high end. Mid range are £200-300. Fit is important, and for example Bauer have Vapor, Supreme and Nexus models, each designed for a different foot shape. Most people ~50% are Supreme, some are Vapor (Maybe ~30%) and the rest are Nexus. You really need to go to a shop and try on different models, sizes and widths. I once spent £200 on skates that did not fit, and 2 months later had to spend £250 on skates that did fit.

Leif

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 06:38:44 pm »
I posted the above while at work, and didn’t have time to finish. I strongly recommend you go to a GOOD skate shop, with staff who know what they are doing. My too large boots were fitted at a rink shop, and I know they also fitted someone else with too large boots. Here is a really good guide:

http://newtohockey.com/hockey-skate-fitting-guide/

Some shops have a 3D scanner. Here’s my scan:

https://my.volumental.com/en/bauer/2f029e24-c1e1-4885-bd8a-706f9cc01baf/?utm_medium=myvemail

As you see I have flipper shaped feet. These scans are only a recommendation, you might find the next closest model a bit more comfy. Whereabouts are you in the U.K.?

Jako999

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 07:38:50 am »
Thanks for that I live in Halesowen 10 miles south of Birmingham and don’t mind travelling together it right
I brought a cheap pair of Bauer  NSX and used them last night they were fine for the first 30 mins but then the out side of my right foot started to hurt and still is. I don’t know if the width is wrong? I’ve read about baking boots but I don’t think you can with these. I don’t mind paying up to 300 to get it all sorted the boots will only ever be recreational I think you’re right I need measuring but where
I tried some £100 Graf but the felt sloppy around the toes. The problem is there is no relly any where local and when you do find somewhere they only have a few makes and never the correct size
Thanks

Leif

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 10:09:34 am »
Since you've bought NSX boots surely your best bet is to continue using them and see if they break in. Generally new boots give discomfort, but gradually they conform to your feet. As you say, I don't think yours can be heat moulded (baked).

If you do decide to buy better boots (and I don't know if you need them) then your best bet might be Puck Stop near Sheffield. It's a 100 mile drive, but they are huge and will have most if not all models and sizes in stock. Small shops tend to sell you what they have in stock rather than what you need. You are lucky you don't live further away. I think there is another shop IceLocker near Nottingham, but I don't know how much stock they hold.

Jako999

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2018, 12:43:49 am »
Thanks for the help I went up the the Nottingham shop and tried  on several boots and it looks like I will go for a pair of CCM Tracks 9060 they felt nice on my foot and although I scanned at a 41 D the ones I tried were a 41 EE and they felt really nice they may be a little wide but due to the fact I get a lot of pain in the R side of my right foot due to a nerve  problem. I'm not sure if they are the correct boot or not only time will tell but they can be baked which is a bonus.
I didn't get them there and then as would only give 10% off in the shop and after talking to someone I found out in the January sale they discount a lot of things by 25% and if they don't go down then all I've lost is the postage and after all a start price of £240 25% is worth waiting for.
Thanks again

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy