Author Topic: Socks  (Read 1791 times)

Leif

Socks
« on: November 30, 2018, 01:31:44 pm »
What do people recommend for skating socks, suitable for males in particular? I have some Bauer socks that cost £22 for one pair. Cripes. They are very thin and tight, for obvious reasons. But the price is silly.

The Sacred Voice

Re: Socks
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 05:13:31 pm »
I just wear normal socks, classic 5-pack from Next, never had any issues! Should I be more concerned about this?
I'm blogging about my skating journey, please read along at dontexcelaxel.blogspot.com

black

• Skate free
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 06:57:20 pm »
I've just got regular black (duh) cotton M&S socks; when I first started in rentals, I wore thicker ski socks.

Always worn socks in skates, never barefoot.
The greatest trick figure skaters ever pulled, was convincing the world it was easy.

Leif

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2018, 03:27:07 pm »
I just wear normal socks, classic 5-pack from Next, never had any issues! Should I be more concerned about this?

I have no idea. My skates are such a close fit that normal socks would tend to bunch up, or allow slippage, which is a no no. So I will buy some ‘normal’ socks, but a size down from usual, and see how they do.

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2018, 04:45:56 pm »
I thought the consensus at least among figure skaters was thin socks or tights - you want maximum control and feel, so thick spongy socks are not really going to help.  I know some people who skate barefoot.  It seems a bit extreme to me but if it doesn't give your feet problems and you don't sweat excessively then why not?
I don't use anything special - just regular cotton ankle socks, on the thin side.  As someone says above you want a snug fit so there is no bunching - snug socks then snug skates so there is very little moving or rubbing inside the boot.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 10:28:01 am »
I'd just like a pair of socks that fit snugly and don't have bloody Barbie or Thomas the Bleeping Tank Engine on them.  :(  Yes, I know I'm 50 but I have very small feet.  (Wombles and Paddington are fine but I can't find either at the moment!)
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Leif

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 11:06:35 am »
So much for fancy super duper socks, I've skated in the Bauer socks for about 16 hours and they already have a hole in one. :o What a pile of poop. I'm off to the cheap clothing shop to buy some thin undersized socks.

Colourful socks are quite popular with the hockey crowd, not seen Thomas or Barbie ones though.

Leif

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2018, 04:33:09 pm »
I bought the cheapest thinnest socks I could find at Sports Direct, Giorgio brand, 4 for £3 and they are brilliant, better than the Bauer’s as they are wider at the toe end. :)

katepilarr

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2018, 11:15:31 am »
I also wear just my normal socks, which are usually Tesco pack of black socks with colourful toe and heel. I find those are snuggly enough for me not to wrinkle up as some looser socks do.
I have skated barefoot ones or twice in the summer when I forgot my socks and could feel the wind coming in trhough the lace holes :D
skating in Prague and Elgin, Scotland
working on L1 and L2 field moves, upright spin& backspin, single jumps upto loop
www.youtube.com/user/catepilarr

Leif

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2018, 04:40:29 pm »
I was chatting with someone who said he skated barefoot. Apparently the sweat makes the skates really smell bad, far more so than with socks.

katepilarr

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2018, 07:20:41 pm »
I was chatting with someone who said he skated barefoot. Apparently the sweat makes the skates really smell bad, far more so than with socks.

well, that's hardly surprising, isn't is :D
skating in Prague and Elgin, Scotland
working on L1 and L2 field moves, upright spin& backspin, single jumps upto loop
www.youtube.com/user/catepilarr

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy