Author Topic: Chiropractors  (Read 979 times)

Florence

Chiropractors
« on: November 16, 2018, 08:19:15 am »
Hi, Due to a bad back and sciatica I have hardly skated this year. Yesterday I Really missed It for some reason. I have been refereed by GP to physio to be assessed but in the past they generally just give me exercise to do (ankle / knee)

I looked into Chiropractors and Osteopath and quite liked the sound of the Chiropractor.

Has anybody ever had any treatment by a Chiropractor and if so how often did you need to visit and was the treatment useful / effective?

Thank you, Hope you have all been happy skaters this year  :)

Leif

Re: Chiropractors
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2018, 12:20:46 pm »
I'm not really answering your question, but here's a few thoughts.

I don't know how bad your back is, and how you hurt it, but I have hurt my back several times while skating when I fell on my coccyx. On one occasion I could barely walk, and only at a snail's pace, the day after. It took a week to recover. On the second occasion I was off work the next day, and not able to walk. I had to crawl around on the floor of my house, using my arms to drag myself.  :o Fortunately the pain went in a day or two.

I think on both occasions I had a slipped or herniated disk and I had discomfort for weeks. A friend gave me some stretching exercises (sit down, place left foot on right knee, then do right foot on left knee, stand up, raise a knee to shoulder height etc) which helped hugely. I also found that skating helped massively, probably because it stretches and exercises muscles. I now have no back issues, and I am convinced it is because of continual exercise which stretches and strengthens the supporting muscles. Of course I'm no doctor (well, actually I am, but not a doctor of medicine) so my comments may not be relevant to you.

And I now always wear padded shorts (Xion D3O boxer shorts) which prevent serious injury from a fall on the coccyx. They do not prevent pain, but that is a lesser issue.

Florence

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 05:55:33 pm »
Thanks Lief, I do need to stretch more often. I did read that the first one you mentioned was good for sciatica. I will add the standing one too.

I am planning on going to a gentle Yoga class once feel less nervous about moving, sometimes when I move my leg in a certain position I get a really painful electric shock time pain down the leg.

I haven't injured it from falling but the thought of falling on the hip at the moment does put me off trying to skate. But i do have some padded shorts i may wear now when I do.

Thank you, all advice is good  :)

katepilarr

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2018, 11:54:14 am »
yoga is always a good way to go. i find that my physios' exercises use a lot of yoga movement and breathing (which strenghten the core). I love the aero/flying yoga.
I would be interested in you experience with chiropractors if you do go.
skating in Prague and Elgin, Scotland
working on L1 and L2 field moves, upright spin& backspin, single jumps upto loop
www.youtube.com/user/catepilarr

iSk8

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2018, 09:39:36 pm »
I'm not really into ice dance anymore as a practitioner, but my partner has had some recent experience with a sports injury which meant that even walking was extremely painful.

I would say to exercise caution with private, potentially uncontrolled, 'wellness' practitioners.  If you can find a reputable, trained, practitioner, with recommendations, then go ahead.  Take a look at McTimoney chiropractic practitioners.  In our case the NHS was just taking far too long to assess the injury and recommend something.  An acquaintance, also a McTimoney chiropractic practitioner, recommended a more local chiropractic practitioner at a private sports clinic.  Assessment and treatment worked well at the time, but expensive.  In the meantime the local NHS small injury clinic took a look and referred it on.  Suggested, unofficial, protective measure was taping up the problem joint (K-Tape).  This had some effect, but problem persisted.  Decided to try local university sports injury clinic - full assessment and recommended treatment for £10/session.  3 sessions did the trick.  Still really waiting for the NHS. Eventually arranged a scan (about a month ago) after seeing a consultant (several months ago).  Results to appear in yet another appointment in another month.  Problem, however, seems to have been resolved and, given where results will be discussed, it looks as if there's nothing to follow up.

Maybe it would have healed with time anyway.  Maybe the later treatment wouldn't have been as effective earlier.  The chiropractic physio was not significantly different than the university sports clinic, just significantly more expensive - but hey, we all have to make a living.  Nevertheless a couple of visits to A&E, local doctor, walk-in small injury clinic, consultant + a scan - and nothing helpful from the NHS except an [unofficial] idea from a sports-enthusiast doctor.

Regarding exercises you do need to 'loosen up' before and after any physical activity, such as skating or dance.  Some of those exercises turn up in pilates, yoga and feldenkrais.    Take your pick, noting that age and consequential wear-and-tear from sports has an impact.  Pain is your body's way of telling you there's something wrong.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 12:00:15 am by iSk8 »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy