Author Topic: Chiropractors  (Read 124 times)

Florence

Chiropractors
« on: November 16, 2018, 08:19:15 AM »
Hi, Due to a bad back and sciatica I have hardly skated this year. Yesterday I Really missed It for some reason. I have been refereed by GP to physio to be assessed but in the past they generally just give me exercise to do (ankle / knee)

I looked into Chiropractors and Osteopath and quite liked the sound of the Chiropractor.

Has anybody ever had any treatment by a Chiropractor and if so how often did you need to visit and was the treatment useful / effective?

Thank you, Hope you have all been happy skaters this year  :)

Leif

Re: Chiropractors
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2018, 12:20:46 PM »
I'm not really answering your question, but here's a few thoughts.

I don't know how bad your back is, and how you hurt it, but I have hurt my back several times while skating when I fell on my coccyx. On one occasion I could barely walk, and only at a snail's pace, the day after. It took a week to recover. On the second occasion I was off work the next day, and not able to walk. I had to crawl around on the floor of my house, using my arms to drag myself.  :o Fortunately the pain went in a day or two.

I think on both occasions I had a slipped or herniated disk and I had discomfort for weeks. A friend gave me some stretching exercises (sit down, place left foot on right knee, then do right foot on left knee, stand up, raise a knee to shoulder height etc) which helped hugely. I also found that skating helped massively, probably because it stretches and exercises muscles. I now have no back issues, and I am convinced it is because of continual exercise which stretches and strengthens the supporting muscles. Of course I'm no doctor (well, actually I am, but not a doctor of medicine) so my comments may not be relevant to you.

And I now always wear padded shorts (Xion D3O boxer shorts) which prevent serious injury from a fall on the coccyx. They do not prevent pain, but that is a lesser issue.

Florence

Re: Chiropractors
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 05:55:33 PM »
Thanks Lief, I do need to stretch more often. I did read that the first one you mentioned was good for sciatica. I will add the standing one too.

I am planning on going to a gentle Yoga class once feel less nervous about moving, sometimes when I move my leg in a certain position I get a really painful electric shock time pain down the leg.

I haven't injured it from falling but the thought of falling on the hip at the moment does put me off trying to skate. But i do have some padded shorts i may wear now when I do.

Thank you, all advice is good  :)