Author Topic: Daily stretches and exercises [off ice]  (Read 1846 times)

Katie_95

Daily stretches and exercises [off ice]
« on: September 13, 2018, 07:48:14 pm »
Hi, so I'm getting back into skating in about a month's time (its been about 2 years since I last skated). I was never very flexible to begin with and as I was in University at the time, I was never able to commit to the sport as much as I wanted to. Now as an adult, I am ready to jump back in as I have the time and funds to do so.

I have started to do daily stretches for improving my leg flexibility and working towards getting my splits, sometimes doing a back flexibility routine. I was just wondering if there are any particular exercises or stretches that are really useful for on ice? I've been thinking about incorporating some stretches that help build ankle strength. What do you do daily/regularly whilst off ice that help improve your on ice performance?

Thanks  :)

Leif

Re: Daily stretches and exercises [off ice]
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2018, 08:59:05 am »
I’m lazy and generally don’t do off ice training. I used to do long distance running, 10km, which meant I had very good endurance and stamina, but I gave up due to dicky knees. Running or swimming or cycling would be good to get stamina. I advise against running as it puts stress on joints. My knees will never be the same again. When I get on ice, I do some drills such as inside and outside edges, and tight turns, which help me stretch. Our hockey team was taught some on ice stretches, which are simple enough. Thus sit on the ice, back straight, turn your shoulders to one side and place hands on ice, repeat on other side. Lie in your back bring one leg up then move it towards the other side, knee bent, and push it towards the ice. And so on.

black

• Skate free
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 12:01:35 pm »
I have started to do daily stretches for improving my leg flexibility and working towards getting my splits

You going for the Y/Biellmann spin?

Not daily - but I do weights, running, and some leg stretches (not enough though! :-)

I advise against running as it puts stress on joints. My knees will never be the same again.

Did you run heel-to-toe? (as in the heel part strikes the ground first, and then you roll forward to the ball/toes and lift).
The greatest trick figure skaters ever pulled, was convincing the world it was easy.

Leif

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 03:40:43 pm »

Not daily - but I do weights, running, and some leg stretches (not enough though! :-)

Did you run heel-to-toe? (as in the heel part strikes the ground first, and then you roll forward to the ball/toes and lift).

I land on the front of my foot. Thirty odd years of running did my knees in. Skating has built up the knee muscles and I no longer have pain, but I don’t risk running any more. I read a lot on running shoes and the effect of impact, and the evidence is very contradictory. Some suggest that absorbent soles help. Some say thin soles are best. Some suggest that most running shoe ‘science’ is just a sham, based on trends and marketing. It’s a shame as running through the New Forest on a summers as day is marvellous.

Katie_95

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 05:49:16 pm »

Yeah! I would love to get a really nice arch in my back for spirals too  :) :)

black

• Skate free
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 07:45:49 am »
Yeah! I would love to get a really nice arch in my back for spirals too  :) :)

Ankle weights might help (or getting somebody to push the free leg down) since this will build-up the leg lifting muscles.

Some suggest that absorbent soles help. Some say thin soles are best. Some suggest that most running shoe ‘science’ is just a sham, based on trends and marketing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucy_(Australopithecus)

One of the oldest fossil remains (3.2 million years ago) of a close human ancestor that walked on 2 feet (bipedal) - & padded trainers have been around for what, 50 years? Yeah it's a sham alright - go bare foot, or thin soled if possible.

The heel-to-toe motion is great for walking - our legs are effectively like two swinging pendulums; very efficient.

When it comes to running though we need to get up on our toes, not let the heel even touch the ground. Heel striking sends massive impact shocks up our legs, whereas landing on the toe/ball part of the foot allows the foot to absorb it.

Did you read this;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Born_to_Run:_A_Hidden_Tribe,_Superathletes,_and_the_Greatest_Race_the_World_Has_Never_Seen
The greatest trick figure skaters ever pulled, was convincing the world it was easy.

Leif

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2018, 08:18:46 am »
Yes I have read those (or similar reports elsewhere), which is why I wrote what I did. There is too much conflicting evidence. And too much marketing sham from all sides. I see the same thing in ice hockey.

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2018, 03:03:13 pm »
I do an hour of mat Pilates every week with a teacher and a ten minute daily Pilates workout. I have found it the most excellent preparation for skating and other sports.
I think it helps that my teacher is a professional dancer and also skates to a good standard and thus understands what’s needed - though a good teacher should be able to learn enough about the activities you are preparing for to know the best exercises for you. We are a small group so get more attention to personal strengths and weaknesses and more specific corrections.
I tend to think that unless you are naturally very athletic it’s impossible to reach your skating potential as an adult without doing some off ice preparation and that it probably needs to incorporate an element of stretching and body control, isolations - something like Pilates or Yoga or ballet.

Katie_95

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2018, 06:14:32 pm »
Hmmm, I might give pilates a try. There's plenty of routines on YouTube, plus it gives me some much needed variety.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy