Author Topic: Arch pain  (Read 1342 times)

AbiJ

Arch pain
« on: September 05, 2018, 06:13:28 pm »
I’ve started suffering foot pain in both feet under the arches whilst skating. I’ve been skating for about 8 months and am currently doing my bronze, I wear Graf 500 boots with coronation blades, I’ve been skating in these boots since April and they’ve never hurt before. Can anyone advise why this could be happening and what I should do about it?

transmissionoftheflame

Re: Arch pain
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2018, 10:38:53 pm »
It's possible that it's not the boots, but the fact that you are doing new/different things with your body because of the skating.  Skating will put new stresses on the body, and certainly the feet.  The body may need time to adjust or you may need to exercise and/or stretch to get yourself in peak condition for skating.  You may be flexing and/or pointing the foot inside the boot and your feet are simply not used to this.  You could try doing some stretches - pointing and flexing, foot raises, or massage them after skating with some oil.
Or maybe you have started lacing up your boots differently (too tight maybe)?
Or your feet are more swollen than usual because of the weather or some other issue.  Do they hurt when you're in shoes?
Have you started doing more walking or standing or other types of exercise?

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2018, 11:26:37 pm »
You could also try some simple orthotics or arch supports, to see if they help.  I started to suffer pain in my landing foot, which swiftly travelled all the way up my right leg and was easily sorted with arch supports.

Don't just grin and bear it, though.  Find out what it is and get it sorted, or you could do yourself some damage.
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

AbiJ

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2018, 07:35:07 am »
I thought about arch supports, I don’t have flat feet though I have quite high arches. I work out several times a week at the gym so I don’t think it’s a lack of strength- I did have about a month off skating though due to lack of funds  :-\

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2018, 09:47:19 am »
I thought about arch supports, I don’t have flat feet though I have quite high arches. I work out several times a week at the gym so I don’t think it’s a lack of strength- I did have about a month off skating though due to lack of funds  :-\

I've always had high arches and was absolutely convinced that I didn't have flat feet.  I was also certain that the nice people in the Scholl shop where I eventually hobbled would be pulling the wool over my eyes and utterly useless if they recommended arch supports...  I was in a lot of pain when I did actually hobble in and practically dancing when I left with arch supports in my shoes.  I'd taken my skates in, so they could see what they were dealing with.  Best money I ever spent.  Try some arch supports.  You can pick them up for less than a five on places like eBay and Amazon.
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Leif

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2018, 10:03:06 am »
I have Bauer speed plates in my hockey skates. They are heat mouldable arch supports and make a huge difference to my skating. I recently took them out, and noticed no difference at first, but after a while I felt less stable, so I put them back in and all is well again. I suspect that without the arch support, my feet sometimes slipped forwards, due to the arch collapsing, which gradually deformed the skates, thus ruining the fit. The support helps keep the foot in position and helps the skate mould to the foot.

Incidentally I don't recommend Superfeet though some people do like them. The yellow and I think the carbon are supposed to be suitable for skates.

I assume by arch supports the others mean some simple little inserts that literally go beneath the arches, presumably with some sticky stuff to hold them in place.

I don't have flat feet either.

AbiJ

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2018, 03:46:27 pm »
Wow that’s really interesting to hear, I will give arch supports a try then 😊

laurenSkatesicenice

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2018, 12:30:09 am »
I have been having similar troubles lately too!  I'm lucky to have medical through work so i have been seeing a physio who has been helping me although to be honest I haven't found a cure yet. I also have a lateral pelvic tilt which he has paid a lot of attention to as he thinks the uneven length symptom in my legs is contributing to putting imbalanced pressure/weight towards my arches. The hip thing also makes my knees roll in slightly (lazy glute apparently) which in turn is affecting pressure over the arches. Worth looking into perhaps? I'm a big believer in the physio approach that if you're feeling pain from one place, the actual cause can be coming from another area of your body all together.
I have arches when resting but after feeling the pains and paying a bit of attention to my gait, i've noticed my arches seem to collapse when standing so do your arches stay when standing?
Also one more thing I've realised that's contributed to the foot issue could be the way I have started to lace all hooks of my Graf 500s (when I first got them, I was only doing the bottom 3) - looking back to my foot issues that started 3 months ago, I think that was roughly when I thought I would start using all hooks. The pulling on the laces on the front of my shins I think is contributing to the foot strain issue

Things that give relief:
Frozen bottle of water (rolling under feet whenever needed)
Tennis ball for feet in skating bag
Calf stretches and foot stretches (look up plantar fascitis help)

Sorry for alllll the waffle but I came on here this evening for this very reason and as you have shared, I thought I may as well continue the chain.

laurenSkatesicenice

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2018, 12:31:25 am »
I meant to add re: shins, using a foam roller on the shins really is giving some relief to this muscle I never seem to have used before!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy