Author Topic: Need help with new skates?  (Read 2243 times)

magikae

Need help with new skates?
« on: August 27, 2018, 06:16:55 am »
Hi, I'm new here.

I am currently wearing Edea Chorus which I got December 2017 (last year), so I've only been wearing them for 8-9 months. They're already breaking down really fast, there are hard creases on them like a recreational skate, even though they are rated for doubles. I am only working on singles up to axels and a little bit of doubles (yes axels, no fully-rotated doubles). My feet turn out so I'm always leaning on the outsides of my feet for some reason, and I don't know why. I used to wear Jacksons (Mystiques and Freestyles) but they hurt my arch too much even after I've broken them in for a year, so I got the Chorus to try and they are really comfortable. I have naturally flat feet, and am in need of new skates. Problem is, I don't know what skates to get. My coach said I need something that would be able to support my feet, but haven't had any suggestions on what boots to get as all the skaters at my rink are in Jacksons but they hurt my feet too much. I am one of the only skaters in Edea as we have to travel over an hour to get it. I was thinking of getting Ice Flys, but they seem too much for someone only doing singles (maybe doubles next year). I am 18, around 55kg and 165cm.

Here's all the info broken down so it's easier to read:
- working on axel/doubles
- currently in Edea Chorus but they are extremely broken down after only 8-9 months use
- skate 5 days a week, around 10hrs total a week
- wide ball, standard/narrow heel, flat arch
- no jacksons because their arch hurts too much
- edea chorus are very comfortable but are too broken down to continue skating in
- female, age: 18, weight: 55kg, height: 165cm
- coach doesn't have any suggestions apart from 'new boots would need to be strong enough to support you'
- coach doesn't like edeas

My other concern is, if I switch to other brands that are not Edea, my coronation ace blades which run a little short due to Edeas having shorter blades will go to waste as other brands need longer blades. In other words, if I don't get Edeas again, I will need new blades when I have perfectly fine ones right now.

So I guess my question is, what new boots do you suggest for me?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 06:18:58 am by magikae »

transmissionoftheflame

Re: Need help with new skates?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 09:31:20 am »
Assuming they fit your feet well, why don't you simply buy another pair of Chorus?  You say your coach doesn't like them but that seems irrelevant unless he/she can give some reason why they are bad for your skating, which seems unlikely.
It's a bit odd they have broken down so quickly - I have Chorus and weigh 20KG more than you and am fairly hard on my boots, have had them I think 3 years and skate multiple times a week.  If you want something that will last longer you could try Concerto, the model up from Chorus, which are exactly the same shape.  My friend skates in Pianos and is below your level, though heavier, has not had any trouble.

magikae

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 11:35:23 am »
Assuming they fit your feet well, why don't you simply buy another pair of Chorus?  You say your coach doesn't like them but that seems irrelevant unless he/she can give some reason why they are bad for your skating, which seems unlikely.
It's a bit odd they have broken down so quickly - I have Chorus and weigh 20KG more than you and am fairly hard on my boots, have had them I think 3 years and skate multiple times a week.  If you want something that will last longer you could try Concerto, the model up from Chorus, which are exactly the same shape.  My friend skates in Pianos and is below your level, though heavier, has not had any trouble.

Thanks for your reply!

I asked my coach today why she didn't like Edeas, and she says it's because they don't have much to hold your foot in place. She says it's not very sturdy, especially compared to the Jackson Debuts (which all the skaters a bit above my level are now getting) and there's 'nothing in the boot', if that makes any sense.

The Sacred Voice

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2018, 11:50:08 am »
I also wear Chorus and I've not had any trouble with stiffness either. I'm 28/male and at a similar jump level to you, however I definitely don't skate as much as you.

Edea boots are all the rage at my rink, practically all the younger skaters that're skating a lot are in Ice Flys and they all love them, though I've not personally experienced the Ice Fly. My coach herself loves Edeas and wholeheartedly recommended me getting an Edea boot when I needed something stiffer for jumps.

If you're uncertain then it might be worth seeing if there's a local private skate fitter in the area that could do an assessment for you? They would have knowledge of the kind of issues you're describing around the shape of your feet and arch and could potentially recommend a better fitting boot or maybe some orthotics to slip into the boot to help.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 11:53:27 am by The Sacred Voice »
I'm blogging about my skating journey, please read along at dontexcelaxel.blogspot.com

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2018, 05:09:39 pm »
I agree with your coach in so far as my slim heels and ankles swim around a bit in the Edeas and I would like something to grip my heel better.  But that's my foot, not yours.  How they feel on your feet is the most important thing.  I think you need to try and establish why you are going over a bit on your ankles - it is weak ankles, is it the boots, is it how your knees track?  Orthotics could be an answer, as could exercises to modify posture or strengthen, as could new boots.  Try as many on as you can.  My daughters use Risport and Graf and have always found them supportive, but it's your feet that have to feel right in the end.

magikae

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2018, 01:27:59 am »
Thank you all for your replies :)

Where I live I only have the option of Jacksons and Edeas. Jacksons are uncomfortable but 'holds my feet' while Edeas are super comfortable but doesn't 'hold my feet'.

Which one is better?

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2018, 02:12:54 am »
How far away are you from other skate shops?  Worth considering a trip as an alternative to spending hundreds of pounds on skates that don't work 100%.

Jacksons come in different width fittings, which might help them fit better.  Jackson skates can also be heat moulded and the shop should be able to punch out spots that cause you problems.  If your Jackson shop is a good one they should suggest these things to make the boots work for you.

Gel sleeves, heel huggers or different insoles could help the Edeas fit better.

Failing all that, your choice is not a great one.  I would say it depends on how "uncomfortable" the Jacksons are.  I think anything more than mild discomfort should be avoided because you are potentially going to damage your feet and that's not going to help your skating.  I tried uncomfortable skates and ending up selling them for a huge loss because it was too painful to skate.

Leif

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2018, 08:15:00 am »
As said it is important to get skates that fit, and which are supportive enough for the intended level of use.

I went to the Guildford rink shop to upgrade my 20 year old hockey skates. I bought Bauer Vapor x500 in 8EE. After a month I realized that they were far too big. I went to another shop and bought correct fitting ones. They were Bauer Supreme S160 in 7EE. Notice that they were not even the same model, which means a different foot shape, as well as one size smaller. The first shop didn't know how to fit skates, the second did. As an aside, a friend also went to the rink shop and was fitted with size 8 skates by a different assistant. For some reason he returned them. He then went elsewhere, and was fitted with and bought skates one size smaller. A good fit makes a huge difference, but oddly enough I know several rink shops that fit at least one size too big. Incidentally my skates are very comfortable, a really good buy. The limitation is me, not the boots. Do go to a decent shop, there are plenty around.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2018, 03:27:53 pm »
You're wearing the boots, not your coach.  If you find Jacksons uncomfortable and you're breaking down Edea Chorus in less than a year, then go for Ice Fly.  If they weren't strong enough, top skaters wouldn't be wearing them and performing quads...

There's no reason why you should find yourself "overbooted" in Ice Fly at a level where you're starting doubles.   There are all manner of things you can do to hold your heel in place if you need to, but if you're buying from a skate shop rather than online, I would suggest that you try a size or possibly even two down from your current boot.  It may be a case of the Chorus actually being too big that has made them break down more quickly.  Try some smaller ones on and see how they feel.  If it turns out that you have been wearing the wrong size, the right size is a complete game changer.

Good luck!
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

magikae

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2018, 12:05:05 pm »
Thanks for all your reply!

I never got the chance to try other sizes for the Chorus, so maybe I'll head up and try a size down, and then try the Ice Fly in several sizes too. I don't think there's any chance of me going back to Jacksons, they're just too uncomfortable for me. I've got a few comps coming up, but after that I'm going to look into new skates.

I'm also looking at getting orthotics for my skates, but that's going to be a process that I'm not even sure is going to work. Skates are hard to fit orthotics for. Thanks for all your help!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy