Author Topic: Bandy! & Long Track Speed Skating  (Read 997 times)

MonkeyBeaver

Bandy! & Long Track Speed Skating
« on: August 25, 2018, 02:51:49 pm »
My local rink (Peterborough) has started up the first Bandy club in the country for over 100 years. The driving force behind it is Lynn Gibb-de Swarte, bit of a Fenland skating legend by all accounts. Obviously the rink is far too small to play Bandy properly so there is she also heading up a project to build a full size Bandy rink surrounded by a full size long track speed skating oval, at Littleport.
Really hope it gets built, it would be an amazing facility & quite fancy a bit of speed skating myself, there’s no club at my rink & I think I’d prefer long track anyway

https://www.littleporticestadiumproject.com
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 02:57:12 pm by MonkeyBeaver »

Leif

Re: Bandy! & Long Track Speed Skating
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 07:41:48 pm »
Good luck to them, it sounds like an exciting project. There are plans for a long track speed skating rink at Portsmouth, but I think they are still at the fantasy stage. I know they do speed skating at Gosport, I saw a beginner today being coached in a public session, not sure it’s safe to be honest, but the coach was present so maybe it’s okay.

MonkeyBeaver

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 06:52:29 am »
I have a feeling that this project is still in the fantasy stage too. They seem to be plugging the history of the place to raise the funds, there’s now a second option to make it an outdoor rink, so it can’t be going that well

black

• Skate free
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2018, 08:15:56 pm »
Thank-you for sharing.

I'd like to give long track a go someday - I've done some short track and enjoyed it.

Note; if you figure skate the morning after speed skating the night before, remember not to lean forward too much!

Yeah, long track requires a huge building = high costs, though looking at Littleport it's quite cold there in the winter months;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Littleport,_Cambridgeshire#Climate

Surely somebody could come up with an innovative design that works on a limited budget (oval shaped polytunnel, using a ground-coupled heat exchanger?).
The greatest trick figure skaters ever pulled, was convincing the world it was easy.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy