Author Topic: Hi everybody. Silly newb question incomming.  (Read 1415 times)

AdamP

Hi everybody. Silly newb question incomming.
« on: August 16, 2018, 08:20:56 am »
Not sure if this is a valid question or if there is even an answer, but here goes  :-[

I've always enjoyed skating since early teens (46 now) and it has/is always been simple public skates at local rinks (Bradford rink and now Nottingham as we are now in the midlands)
Never had any desire to get into figure skating or hockey but I do like the feel of skating round and round quite quick, and have a reasonable ability to do so and stop quickly etc.

Trouble is, as I found out a few times recently, that at my age I am a bit duck out of water going to public skates when it is all kids and teens buzzing around.

Now I am a bit older, I would like to skate a bit more but as said above with no real intention of doing anything in particular - just skating round without annoyance. A bit like swimming in lanes during a public swim if you would.

The question is, is this a thing with ice skating, or do I need to buy an ice rink  ;D

Snufkin

Re: Hi everybody. Silly newb question incomming.
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 09:23:44 am »
It's definitely a thing! Every public session at my rink it seems there are people who are confident and have their own skates, yet are not training any techniques as such, just forwards & backwards skating around the perimeter. I think they're the easiest people to share a rink with because I can be assured that they are in control and they are confident enough that I don't need to worry about scaring them if I woosh past them doing an exercise, yet I don't have to watch them all the time trying to anticipate what they are doing like I do with other figure skaters (since a lot of figure skating exercises are supposed to make particular shapes on the ice and I try not to get in the way). I say go for it, and don't let the kids and teens put you off.
Started skating August 2017

black

• Skate free
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 06:32:15 pm »
It's summer holidays at the moment, but during term time there is a adult-only session at Nottingham.

Also have you thought about giving this a go -> http://www.nirc.info/
The greatest trick figure skaters ever pulled, was convincing the world it was easy.

AdamP

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 07:16:49 pm »
Thanks Snufkin and black. Food for thought and I'll keep an eye out for the adult sessions coming back to Nottingham after the summer.

Not sure about the speed skating club yet. Those close fitting outfits are a little too close for the moment  ;D *

*although cycling is my main passion so am already used to it. Difference being, on a bike I can pedal away before people realise the sun dissapearing wasn't caused by a rogue moon

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 08:52:32 pm »
If you can get to a weekday daytime public session outside of school holidays, those are usually blissfully empty.  It's a lovely pastime; enjoy.  If you can find some nicely surfaced, fairly deserted tarmac and it's not wet, get some rollerblades to have as another option.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2018, 11:36:32 am »
Even if you don't want to be a figure skater, I'd highly recommend doing a course of group lessons if you can.  It'll teach you the basics and to stop safely, which will improve your skating experience no end.  There's nothing to say that you have to go and learn all the frills and furbelows unless you suddenly "get the bug".
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Leif

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2018, 08:06:57 pm »
I avoid Friday night sessions at Guildford as it’s full of teenagers and it feels a bit creepy and odd to go along. Basingstoke is not so bad, but I still feel out of place. Have you tried other evenings than the ones you go to? Often non disco sessions are better, Basingstoke gets a good mix on a Tuesday evening, I’m not even the oldest person on the ice. Guildford has a general session on Wednesday and the Thursday ‘disco’ has a range of ages. That said, I like the mix of ages. Last Saturday the annoying little fat kid came up to me again, and asked me about skating. To be honest I quite like the little fella. Turns out he is only 8 years old! I chat with people with ages ranging from 8 to 60, I’m not sure there are many sports with such a range.

If you want to just go round in circles that’s great, you’re getting some good exercise with low impact on your joints. But do think about learning a few new things. As WM says, why not try group lessons? Learning to snow plough and hockey stop is fun, and it’s safer to have a good fast stop at hand.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy