Author Topic: Ice rinks near me  (Read 1718 times)

Passion4ice

Ice rinks near me
« on: July 26, 2018, 04:23:14 pm »
Could anyone please give me some advice on what to do,
I have recently moved to the South West but previously lived in London and was a competitive skater. However I haven't been able to skate as the nearest Ice rink is in Cardiff, which is too far to travel.
Any advice on what to do would be greatly appreciated thanks

black

• Skate free
Re: Ice rinks near me
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 06:35:17 pm »
Plymouth Pavilions
The Ark Poole Park
Planet Ice, Gosport
Planet Ice, Basingstoke
Link Centre, Swindon

New Bristol rink is delayed -> https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/huge-ice-rink-ski-centre-1363070
The greatest trick figure skaters ever pulled, was convincing the world it was easy.

The Sacred Voice

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 09:22:34 pm »
I'm also South West (although quite close to the Midlands really) and I'm currently trekking to Oxford, so, depending on where you are, that's could also be an option. If you're properly South West though then somewhere like Swindon, Basingstoke or Portsmouth might be better. If you want any information on the Oxford rink then you can message me any questions.
I'm blogging about my skating journey, please read along at dontexcelaxel.blogspot.com

Leif

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2018, 09:49:30 am »
Depends what you mean by the South West. Close to the Midlands is not SW in my book, but might be in yours. There are online lists, here is one for ice hockey players:

http://www.eiharec.co.uk/rink_list.php

Here is another (incomplete) list:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Indoor_ice_hockey_venues_in_England

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2018, 10:20:54 pm »
In the real South West, the only rink is Plymouth Pavilions.  It's small and kidney shaped with the most appalling ice I've ever had the misery of attempting to skate on.  Occasionally somebody different resurfaces it, and then it's capable of being almost good.  Unless it's raining, and then there are big melted holes, often covered by dustbins.  The natives appear friendly, though.

In the winter, there is a temporary rink at the Eden Project, in Cornwall, which opens just before the Autumn half term and closes after the February one, with reduced opening times in January and February.  The ice is usually beautiful, but it is a small rink and often plagued with school parties.  Also, the sessions are expensive at £7.50 for 40 minutes; a skater's pass for £50 gives you half price sessions and is better value than ordinary Eden Project admission if you want to go regularly.  The staff are delightful and the surroundings beautiful.

There are plans afoot for a new, much larger, rink in Plymouth and the owner of the old one (at the Pavilions) isn't allowed to redevelop that site until the new one is open.  Rumour has it that work has started on the new rink, but we doubt very much that it will be open by the end of 2018, as promised.
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Leif

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018, 08:07:44 am »
The Plymouth rec hockey team (Plymouth Pirates?) trains at Cardiff! We've even had some of them training with us at Bracknell!!!!

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2018, 08:11:10 am »
I had no idea that there was a Plymouth hockey team!  :o. That's great.
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Leif

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2018, 09:54:12 am »
I had no idea that there was a Plymouth hockey team!  :o. That's great.

Yes, and they are good too. Quite how you play games on a rink that is the size of a tea tray, and a weird shape is open to question though. I skated on the Plymouth rink about 15 years ago, when me late mum was living in Brixham.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2018, 10:18:46 am »
Yes, and they are good too. Quite how you play games on a rink that is the size of a tea tray, and a weird shape is open to question though. I skated on the Plymouth rink about 15 years ago, when me late mum was living in Brixham.

I don't think they do play games there.  I'm not sure it's possible, and can't recall any markings.  Not that I've been for a few weeks.  I really see no point in driving a 50+ mile round trip, paying Tamar Bridge toll and parking to find that it's overrun with children and the ice is as dire as ever.  I'm very, very cheesed off with the place and can't wait for the Eden winter rink to open again, even though that means dark, cold days rather than sunshine.  Really, really hoping that the new rink has a complete change of attitude on the part of the management and staff.  And changing rooms would be nice.

Leif

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2018, 09:05:50 pm »
I don't think they do play games there.  I'm not sure it's possible, and can't recall any markings.  Not that I've been for a few weeks.  I really see no point in driving a 50+ mile round trip, paying Tamar Bridge toll and parking to find that it's overrun with children and the ice is as dire as ever.  I'm very, very cheesed off with the place and can't wait for the Eden winter rink to open again, even though that means dark, cold days rather than sunshine.  Really, really hoping that the new rink has a complete change of attitude on the part of the management and staff.  And changing rooms would be nice.

Fingers crossed the new rink is decent. If it's any consolation I drive a 70 mile round trip for rec hockey team training. The local rink is 15 miles away, but not ideal. This morning there was an orange cone on the ice marking the location of a hole, there were some quite deep 4" diameter holes elsewhere, and the edges in one corner were wet, and deep enough to swallow a puck. If you caught a skate blade in the edge, you could easily break a leg. But a rink is a rink.

Passion4ice

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2018, 04:28:31 pm »
Thank you all for the replies, i think that the whole of the south West is at a huge disadvantage being deprived of such an amazing sport. I have heard that Gloucestershire council have been approved planning permission to build an ice rink in Bristol and they did initially want the ice rink to be open by the end of this year, however they have had to resubmit their application which means that the new ice rink will not be open until the end of next year.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy