Author Topic: Learning and innate ability  (Read 2805 times)

transmissionoftheflame

Re: Learning and innate ability
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2018, 05:38:51 pm »
Cones force you to be accurate and controlled but can be frustrating.  Sometimes it's easier to learn a move away from cones and add them later, other moves seem to be easier to learn using them because they give you a reference point.  Tiago is fun, but I'd advise you to check you Igor Cheremetieff and Sebastien Laffargue - legends of slalom.
On the ice you can mix up the moves in a more free form manner.

MonkeyBeaver

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2018, 06:46:58 pm »
Yes I’ve seen Igor & Sebastien a few times, they’re extremely talented, I prefer the flow skate videos to the competition footage ones though. Like a lot of the other high level freestyle slalom skaters they seem to put in a lot of 1 wheel tricks & I’ve yet to see anyone do those with full control & therefore any real style, there’s too much flailing around with the arms & other leg trying to stay balanced.

Not got any cones yet, wanted to get some because they, as you say, give a reference point for where you should be. I’m imagining they would force you to have more control over the moves.
Ice time is hard to come by now, the only evening my local rink is open is Mondays, weekends are now filled with catching up on the boring grown up chores that got pushed aside during Hockey season (not me my 8 year old, he’s the reason I started skating) so thought I might try to get some extra practise on my inlines over the park.
These guys have a lot of tutorials for freestyle.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFMrQzIILxdGzjZzDVj8N8Q
Going to try on the cones with inlines & then take it to the ice without the restrictions of the cones, hopefully they will compliment each other!

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2018, 07:11:21 pm »
Totally agree about preferring the flow skate videos to the competition ones.

This is fun https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRBc46fC6bY

MonkeyBeaver

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2018, 08:02:08 pm »
Yes, there’s definitely something about that old school quad jam skating that just looks really smooth when done well. Ice is where my skating heart is though & they are too far away from that, plus I can’t afford another pair of skates, especially as I just replaced running with Nordic Skating, but that’s for another forum.

Feel like I’ve derailed the thread slightly here, so getting back to the initial question about innate ability.
Indeed, I celebrate my small achievements. Then again I've had a lifetime to hone that philosophy.  :) Seriously though, I was good at maths, and was always bored to tears during school maths lessons as they were far too easy. So I guess we all have areas where we do better than the average. Skating is presumably partly intellectual, but partly motor control and coordination, which are I assume attributes of the brain. I'm sure we can teach ourselves to improve motor control etc.  :)
I’m sure we can teach ourselves better motor control & balance too.
Speaking from my personal experience I was never good at sports at school, always one of the last to be picked, but as a 43 year old beginner skater I was told by 2 different coaches on my group lessons that I had natural ability.
As an older teenager & through most of my 20s I was an avid rock climber & circus skills enthusiast (juggling, unicycle, ultimate wheel, tight rope, slack rope & acrobalance). For the last 14 years I have earnt my living as a climbing arborist (tree surgeon, hence the screen name).
Those hobbies & my job involve balance & co-ordination, over the last 30 years I believe I have taught myself better motor control & balance.

In my many years of skating I have seen two people, both self taught, both teenagers, one a hockey skater on ice, the other a rollerblader, who learned at what seemed like a ridiculously fast pace and in a few months had easily mastered skills that take most people many years.  They are fearless and full of energy and skate many hours a week.

The part about being fearless & the volume of skating I believe is just as important as these teenagers obvious talent for skating, to their progress.

black

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2018, 07:04:32 pm »
She does them SO much better than anyone else I have seen - so smooth and effortless, symmetrical - and explains it well too.

Interesting what she says, 'the crazy is all about falling from one foot to the other - weight transfers - don't push'.

I've been working on improving basic crossovers, and yeah same thing, it doesn't feel like you're actually pushing.
The greatest trick figure skaters ever pulled, was convincing the world it was easy.

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2018, 08:04:55 pm »
Good point.  Crossovers are a bit like controlled falling.  My favourite is the backwards progressive run - you can get a frightening (for me) speed up without really pushing, just by sitting down into the ice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6jY5u0rpoE

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy