Author Topic: Mildew in Skates???  (Read 2435 times)

JenniRose399

Mildew in Skates???
« on: May 28, 2018, 10:25:11 pm »
Warning in advance, not a nice topic!!!

I got my first pair of figure skates about 6 months ago, I skate about 2 hours a week and take lots of care with my blades etc, but no one ever mentioned the boots. I'm a beginner and I wear Graf 500 skates so they aren't leather soles or anything. I noticed tonight that the insoles have lots of black spots on them. I've taken them out of the skates but j don't really know what to do now?

Anyone know if they can be cleaned/if it's safe to put the insoles back in or if it will spread? Or where I can buy replacement insoles?

And any tips on how to prevent it from happening again? I store my skates in my transpack bag between sessions which has the open pockets so they don't stay totally sealed.

Leif

Re: Mildew in Skates???
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 07:09:17 am »
You need to air your skates between sessions. I place my hockey skates upside down on a radiator, and I take out the insoles to ensure the rivets dry out and prevent rust. I’m not convinced a radiator is the best place for them, given that they were heat moulded, but you must let them dry out.

black

• Skate free
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 08:35:37 am »
I store my skates in my transpack bag between sessions

I'd advise that you take them out of the bag when you return home.

Loosen the laces and move the tongue away from the boot, like how you would before putting them on.

Leave them lying on their side, blades not touching the floor (unless you want rusty lines on your carpet).

The room should be ventilated.

Probably use a damp wash-up sponge to clean them off.
The greatest trick figure skaters ever pulled, was convincing the world it was easy.

beginner skater

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 09:17:49 am »
As above, store with skates out of bag, insoles out of skates, skates opened up in dry place.
If you think the insoles are washable ie not leather, I would soak them in cold water mixed with baby equipment steriliser such as Milton, then rinse well and hang to dry. (Remove from water when black spots are gone.) Dry completely. It takes black mould spots off horse water buckets in c 2-4 hours.

JenniRose399

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 10:31:24 am »
Thanks for the above. Wish I'd had that advice when I bought them! I have bought the Milton and left the insoles to soak and they are slowly improving. Will make sure I air them properly in future :)

ceiliaanne

• Carnage on ice
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 09:04:04 am »
If your skates are leather, DO NOT put them on the radiator.  The direct heat will kill the leather.
'There's no one in the world harder to please than a skate coach' - Peppermint Patty

Leif

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2018, 10:24:29 am »
If your skates are leather, DO NOT put them on the radiator.  The direct heat will kill the leather.

Good point. Mine are of course made from plastic. 

laurenSkatesicenice

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2018, 01:30:21 pm »
I always save those little silica packets from whenever i buy new things (which is often) and I've been using them inside the toe areanto speed up the drying process when airing my skates as it seems to take A WHILE..  It seems to work. I just dry them on a windowsill after so they can be used again.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy