Author Topic: Rink skate direction  (Read 1398 times)

Keithchief

Rink skate direction
« on: May 16, 2018, 04:57:30 pm »
Why do rinks persist with anticlockwise skating direction exclusively. Surely 10 or 15 minutes every hour of clockwise skating would greatly benefit learning certain techniques.

transmissionoftheflame

Re: Rink skate direction
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 05:20:59 pm »
I think it's mainly laziness.  We sometimes switch at the rink I skate at - usually someone just asks the marshals and they generally say yes.

Leif

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 06:55:39 pm »
It needs a supervisor to announce a change of direction. Guildford sometimes do it on request for 10-15 minutes on Thursday evening. Basingstoke never bother. However, you can always practice CW when the rink is nearly empty, just use common sense and stay well clear of other skaters, or stay in the central area.

I remember one night at Guildford when the announcement was to go CW, but everyone was so confused they gave up on the idea.  ;D

Obviously if you want to be a well rounded skater you need to practice both directions.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 10:00:29 am »
It used to happen on Friday nights at the old Southampton rink.  Right in the middle of the "disco" session.  I don't recall it ever being chaotic but that was 30+ years ago!
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

black

• Skate free
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 01:07:25 pm »
Maybe it has something to do with handedness?

More people being right handed, hence holding onto the barrier with their right hand, hence CCW.
The greatest trick figure skaters ever pulled, was convincing the world it was easy.

The Sacred Voice

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2018, 06:38:02 pm »
At my rink then the rink itself has been set up with CCW in mind. The layout is such that you pay at the desk, you're walked down some stairs to the skate hire and then immediately in front of you is the public locker room. Once you've booted up then the next logical exit takes you to the closest entrance to the ice itself, which is located at the bottom of one of the long sides of the rink that, if you were to follow it (which feels like the intended direction when you get on) then you're automatically off going CCW. Cunning design...
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 01:58:25 pm by The Sacred Voice »
I'm blogging about my skating journey, please read along at dontexcelaxel.blogspot.com

ceiliaanne

• Carnage on ice
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 11:28:17 am »
My experience tells me that this only really happens on public ice.  My experience also tells me that the majority of people on public ice are 'ice tourists' i.e. not people who take lessons and are there to practice.

If you want to skate in the opposite direction, you'll probably be better off on patch sessions.
'There's no one in the world harder to please than a skate coach' - Peppermint Patty

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2018, 07:40:08 pm »
We do get randoms at our rink who probably don't care what direction they are going in, but being a small rink it seems to have a fair few regulars, figure and hockey skaters, and from talking to quite a few of them people do prefer to be able to go CW some of the time to even things up.  It makes a nice change. 

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy