Author Topic: Gamelin Eagle  (Read 1430 times)

black

Gamelin Eagle
« on: April 08, 2018, 06:24:34 pm »
This was discussed a while back - an inverted spread eagle move;

http://www.skatingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=5144

Also mentioned here;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Gamelin#Partnership_with_Danielle_Gamelin_for_the_United_States
http://www.icetwins.com/main/news/?p=447

Has anybody actually tried this? Off ice I only just about managed 90 degrees!
The greatest trick figure skaters ever pulled, was convincing the world it was easy.

rach

Re: Gamelin Eagle
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 08:35:06 am »
I don't like it but I can do this way easier than the traditional prettier version 😂 Must just be the way my joints are

WednesdayMarch

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 09:52:41 am »
I doubt I can do either of them!  I'm certainly not good at the traditional version.  If I remember, I'll give this one a try on Wednesday...
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Leif

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 10:07:30 am »
I don't like it but I can do this way easier than the traditional prettier version 😂 Must just be the way my joints are

I've been trying to do the trad version for a year now with no joy. They say you can learn to do it by continually stretching your hip joints. Quite a few of the young lads at the rink can do it, I suspect age plays a role, the body being less elastic.

WednesdayMarch

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 12:01:12 pm »
I've been trying to do the trad version for a year now with no joy. They say you can learn to do it by continually stretching your hip joints. Quite a few of the young lads at the rink can do it, I suspect age plays a role, the body being less elastic.

I can dislocate my hip joints (which is why I was kicked out of ballet school), but I've never been any good at spread eagles.  And as I'm now 102 - okay, 50 - I suspect I'm not going to get any better at 'em.

We're all expecting you to try this new variation and report back, Leif... 
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Leif

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 01:06:38 pm »
I can dislocate my hip joints (which is why I was kicked out of ballet school), but I've never been any good at spread eagles.  And as I'm now 102 - okay, 50 - I suspect I'm not going to get any better at 'em.

We're all expecting you to try this new variation and report back, Leif...

:o I know someone who could try it, I'll ask them, and report back. Psst: I'm 54.

Leif

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 10:56:09 pm »
And if you want another move to try, how about a spread eagle stop? Trolley along in the spread eagle, assuming you are facing to the right. Lean back and swing your right side round ACW until both feet are perpendicular to the direction of motion, and come to a halt. I’ve seen it done.

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2018, 09:54:31 pm »
I tried it tonight.  Sort of managed on a curve.  The young lady in the Youtube clip linked to in the original thread does it on what look like two outside edges.  I can do a normal spread eagle now, was miles away to begin with.  Didn't so much stretch and just gained confidence in keeping the turnout.  I imagine I might be able to get close to a straight line, but not sure I've got time to try or that my hips would thank me.
I do quite like an inverted mohawk though which is similar - you step down pigeon-toed.  You can do them in a circle or use them in steps to do something like the New York Shuffle.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy