Author Topic: Level 1 Field Moves Frozen!  (Read 1082 times)

Iceskatingjess

Level 1 Field Moves Frozen!
« on: April 06, 2018, 10:37:39 am »
So I started doing my field moves lvl 1 around 5 months ago. So far I am loving it apart from the figure of 8 Mohawk exercise.... I can’t do the Mohawk see I can do Mohawks and I can do them in the Mohawk crossover exercise I just can’t do them in the field moves exercise. I do my crossovers step onto my right foot and freeze. I simply cannot do the Mohawk. It’s getting to the point where I finish my lesson really annoyed at my self.
Does anyone have any help or exercises I can do to help with this? Thank youuuuu

transmissionoftheflame

Re: Level 1 Field Moves Frozen!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 11:27:00 am »
I don't remember any mohawk figure of 8 exercise in NISA Level 1 field moves.  Can you describe the exact sequence of steps in it please?

Iceskatingjess

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 01:21:32 pm »
So you start off in the centre of the ice and do crossovers in a figure if 8 anti clockwise covering the whole rink. When you get back to the middle you do a Mohawk and then backwards crossovers in a figure of 8 and present

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2018, 01:44:19 pm »
Ah OK so the mohawk is to transition from forwards to backwards, to link the forwards to the backwards crossovers.  Maybe the problem is that you're at this point possibly going quite fast after the crossovers and you don't feel comfortable doing a mohawk at speed.  I know that feeling - you get a mental/physical block and the body says no.  I would advise practicing it at a really slow speed then building up from there, to gain confidence.  Mohawk to backwards at speed is a pretty fundamental building block for a figure skater so it's worth spending time on it to get it right.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 03:01:23 pm »
The turn from forwards to backwards in the middle of that exercise is "optional" so you could always do a three turn if you find that easier? 

I agree with transmissionoftheflame that it's probably the speed that's causing you to freeze, so practising slowly is the only real way to sort it.
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2018, 06:26:08 pm »
I don't know if this will help at all but here is someone doing the forward to backward crossover mohawk transition: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqnxmVanmlY

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy