Author Topic: What’s the difference between a club comp and an international comp  (Read 711 times)

froggy

As in the title really,
What’s the difference between a club competition and an international competition?
Why are some competitions run as club but others as international, what are the pros and cons between the 2?
Is it costing?

The ice mouse

• Global Moderator
Re: What’s the difference between a club comp and an international comp
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 01:54:49 pm »

Froggy

Club comps are only open to members of that club and tend to be shorter in duration - a few hours to a day. (normally people can join the club to just do the comp). They also tend to be cheaper - maybe a few pounds

Open comps - These are run by a club or clubs and are open to members of other clubs without the need to join the host club(s). These tend to be longer in duration between 1 and 5 days (dependent on entry numbers) - Cost could be >£50

International - as opens, but open to skaters outside the host clubs country. Cost - as per Open

With regards to the scoring systems used (and I speak for the UK)

Club Comps - RJS (Relative scoring system i.e. marks of 0 - 6) this slowly going out of use. The other system is IJS - this is the same method used in the Olympics

Opens / International - IJS (International Judging system) system

Dependant on the venue, you could also incur hotel cost etc

I prefer frozen ice. I will try anything once. I

froggy

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2018, 01:59:45 pm »
Sorry, I meant the difference between club opens and internationals.
I know it becomes Novice A, B, advance, junior and senior rather than levels but apart from this why do some clubs run levels where as others run internationals?
What’s the actual difference?

Carrie

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 03:25:14 pm »
I don't know anything about competitions other than watching them, but I don't think individual clubs run international competitions.  It is usually the ISU or a country's Federation perhaps. 

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy