Author Topic: Beginner, help wanted (next steps and which skates)  (Read 957 times)

fgr97

Beginner, help wanted (next steps and which skates)
« on: March 24, 2018, 12:44:25 pm »
Hi, I have recently decided to start skating. I have been skating only about once a year for the past 5 years or so, but can skate very confidently (forwards!) around the rink, at good speed.

I skated for a few hours yesterday (with terrible rental skates), and was able to skate laps of the rink balancing for a second on each foot (attempting to do stroking - not sure if it was right). I can also do forward 'lemons'. I can glide on one foot with my leg behind or in front, on either leg.

I feel ready to try out some more difficult things. I can't yet stop, or skate backwards, so maybe these are the next steps?! What should I be working on next, and what sort of progress should I expect to make in the next couple of months?

I am a 20 year old female, and am able to skate once (sometimes twice) a week for about 2.5 hours.

I am also looking to buy some skates. I am currently looking at Graf Bolero (though would ideally like something a bit cheaper - possibly Graf Davos, though I'm worried they'll wear out quickly).

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.  :)

Snufkin

Re: Beginner, help wanted (next steps and which skates)
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 01:06:48 pm »
Congratulations on taking up this great sport :) Definitely find out if there is a group lesson for adults at your rink as if you teach yourself, your form is likely to be very poor. Expert coaching is important in ice skating.

I would say that in order to be skating 'at good speeds', you should know how to stop otherwise that's not very safe for other rink users! I think a good strong stop should be a priority for anybody. I think most people find the snowplough stop the easiest. You can find videos about how to do it on YouTube.

Both of those skates are quite basic but fine for the very beginning. I think you will probably get to a level of skating that requires a more advanced skate before you wear them out. Once you are working with a professional you will be able to discuss with them when it is time to upgrade.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 08:15:08 pm by Snufkin »
Started skating August 2017

Leif

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2018, 06:52:49 pm »
There was a young lad at our rink who had one on one lessons over three months and I was very impressed with his progress. I know the coach was/is a very very good skater, he represented Britain in some competitions at one time.

As said, stopping is paramount. The snow plough is an excellent stop. Forwards edges are important, going in curves on one foot, on an inside or outside edge. Forwards lemons are good. Backwards lemons. Backwards snow plough. Two foot slalom is excellent, forwards and backwards. All on YouTube as said by Snufkin, what a bizarre name, but good!

Snufkin

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 08:24:10 pm »
[...] Snufkin, what a bizarre name, but good!

Snufkin is a Tove Jansson character :)
Started skating August 2017

FamilySkater

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2018, 09:07:09 pm »
The National Ice Centre do a great series of videos on YouTube of the Skate UK levels. I love watching them for ideas of things to try next. I also spend lots of time standing around on one foot or sliding around the kitchen in my socks  ;D

My teens have Graf Bolero skates and have found them very comfortable, which was a relief as I read lots of threads about new skates and people talking about how much they hurt to start with and need breaking in. The general advice is to try skates on before you buy them, but if you do decide to buy online then shop around because prices do vary. And don't forget they need to be sharpened before you can skate in them.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2018, 09:57:45 pm »
I am also looking to buy some skates. I am currently looking at Graf Bolero (though would ideally like something a bit cheaper - possibly Graf Davos, though I'm worried they'll wear out quickly).

From what I've seen and heard, go with the Graf Bolero.  They seem to be comfortable and durable.  You tend to get what you pay for in terms of quality and too cheap is usually a bad idea if you want to progress.  (And definitely avoid SFR Galaxy!)

In order to progress, your best bet is to join a group class but if that's not possible, then YouTube is definitely your friend.  And, of course, ask questions here.  Plenty of help available. 

Good luck - and enjoy your skating journey!
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

beginner skater

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2018, 10:21:31 pm »
Graf 500 were one of the skates recommended to me by my coach when I started LTS. They're made of leather and should last you much longer, both timewise and going up the LTS levels. Theyre reputed to  be able to be used up to Gold Star

If you do try on a pair of skates at a shop which you decide to buy, please buy them from that shop, if you want them to stay in business for future skaters  ;)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy