Author Topic: Recommended skates for Nisa Level 1  (Read 1057 times)

niecey

Recommended skates for Nisa Level 1
« on: March 14, 2018, 11:14:07 pm »
Hi all, new to this forum.

My daughter has passed Gold Skate UK and has just started private coaching with a view to completing Nisa Level 1.  At the moment she is wearing Graf Bolero skates, but they are getting a little tight for her, so need to find something else.  I have heard that the Bolero are for entry level, I don't know where entry level ends and intermediate begins or where Nisa falls into this, so looking for recommendations on the make/model of skates to see her through for a while (and hoping she doesn't have a growth spurt!).

Thanks

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
Re: Recommended skates for Nisa Level 1
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 02:38:49 pm »
Welcome to the forum!  I believe the natives are friendly.   :)

I have heard that the Bolero are for entry level, I don't know where entry level ends and intermediate begins or where Nisa falls into this, so looking for recommendations on the make/model of skates to see her through for a while...

Things to take into consideration for your daughter's next boots are how old she is, how heavy she is and her style of skating, ie whether she is an ethereal princess who really needs a light boot in order to enjoy and progress with skating or whether she is a stronger skater, who won't bat an eyelid at a more solid but heavier boot.  Also, whether she has either particularly narrow or wide feet, as some makes are better for one or the other and some makes cater for different width fittings.

First port of call is probably to ask her coach for recommendations.  Pros often know of other skaters who are growing out of their boots and you can sometimes nab a bargain pair secondhand this way.  Children usually outgrow their boots rather than wear them out and the secondhand market is buoyant.

As to the growth spurt, I believe that once you feed them and let them out of the cupboard, all bets are off...

Good luck!
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

niecey

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 08:01:22 pm »
Thank you for your reply.

She is 12 and would probably prefer a lighter boot to a heavy one I think, I think she finds the Bolero's quite heavy.  Her feet are average width I believe.  I did chat with the coach briefly about skates, she just said whilst you don't want really cheap ones, don't go mad buying really expensive ones either, as they can be too advanced and hinder rather than help.  I'll have another more indepth chat with her next week I think.

Meala

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 12:08:03 am »
Hi. My daughter is a similar age and is competing at nisa level 1. She started with graf bolero and then progressed to risport Rf light and then edea chorus. Both were good for her but changing as her feet grew. If you can, get to a shop where she can try on a few styles and see which is most comfortable.

MarkD

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 10:31:17 am »
Every manufacturer has a range of models, so specific recommendations are impossible to make, as what works for one won't for another. Models overlap in terms of what sort of ability, and you need a crystal ball to predict foot growth speed and skating progress to make a judgement on what to get.

You should be looking at one of the more expensive of the combined boot/blade models out there. You don't want too cheap any more, but too expensive is too stiff and hard for a relative beginner to use. The most expensive skates come as boot only and you select a blade separately.

New, you'll be spending >£120 and <£200.

From here it gets more expensive quicker in terms of boots for free as opposed to dance, so it will depend on what she is doing.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy