Author Topic: Skate and blade care  (Read 1185 times)

Newskater52

Skate and blade care
« on: March 11, 2018, 08:16:19 pm »
Whatis the best way to look after your skates and blades? I've got my first pair of skates and abbot clueless. I have a protective bag and blade protectors, and I know I have to fully dry my blades when I get off, but what else should I be doing? I've read about waxing blades? And leather protection? Any tips?

transmissionoftheflame

Re: Skate and blade care
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 09:04:16 pm »
Not sure about leather protection (my skates are mainly synthetic) but your plastic blade guards should just be used to protect the blades while walking from where you put your skates on to the side of the rink.  To keep them in your bag you should get elasticated fabric blade soakers to absorb moisture.
Your bag should be well ventilated but I always take my boots out and air them for at least a day after a skate, to make sure they dry out properly inside and out.  I tend to loosen the laces right off and really open the skates out, pull the tongues back, to make sure they are properly aired, and take blade soakers off and put them on the radiator to get them thoroughly dry.
The sharpeners put some wax on the blades when I get them done every 6 weeks, other than that I don't wax then and they seem OK. 
Some people put tape on them to protect them, probably not a bad idea if you're planning to do a lot of drags which tends to ruin them.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 07:22:59 am by transmissionoftheflame »

Leif

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 09:25:56 am »
I suspect the sharpener puts the wax on before the last grind, in order to get a smoother surface. Mine uses oil instead. Not all sharpeners do this though.

WednesdayMarch

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 02:37:26 pm »
After skating, I wipe my blades dry with a towel/cloth and put the towelling-lined fabric soakers (which I make) on them.  Sometimes I put the tongues neatly inside the boots and occasionally I tidy up the laces.  Then I shove them into my handbag and head home.  (Everybody else seems to have beautiful skate bags or little wheeled cases for their gear but I honestly just rock up with mine in my handbag.)

In theory, when I get home, I take off the soakers to make sure they dry out and the blades aren't going to rust.  In theory...

The only protective thing I did with my boots was to spray them with Scotchguard spray before the blades went on, as they're beige suede and I felt it might help to make them stay nice for a bit longer than 3 days!
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Snufkin

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 02:48:17 pm »
(Everybody else seems to have beautiful skate bags or little wheeled cases for their gear but I honestly just rock up with mine in my handbag.)

Small feet or big handbag? ;D I got one of those triangular boot bags for mine.

I just dry my blades with a cloth, put on soakers, and leave them in my bag until next session. If the boots are looking grubby I give them a bit of a rub with the cloth once I've finished drying the blades.
Started skating August 2017

WednesdayMarch

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 03:48:06 pm »
Small feet or big handbag? ;D I got one of those triangular boot bags for mine.

I just dry my blades with a cloth, put on soakers, and leave them in my bag until next session. If the boots are looking grubby I give them a bit of a rub with the cloth once I've finished drying the blades.

Both!   ;D 8)

That's pretty much all I do with mine.  Except I take them out of the handbag and put them away* between session.  (*For which, read "leave them on the sofa or stairs"!)
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Leif

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 04:19:53 pm »
I put soakers on mine. Then when I get home I remove soakers and the Bauer Speedplates (insoles) and place them upside down on a radiator to dry. Damp can rot the rivets. Some people spray the insides of the skates with disinfectant as soon as they take them off.

My skates have plastic uppers, and they are covered in gouges, with some of the fabric torn and peeling away. On Saturday I saw the worst hockey skates I've ever seen. The holders had chunks  missing from the plastic, and one blade was visibly and obviously bent. Quite how someone skates on a bent blade is beyond me.

I have one of those triangular SFR skate bags, good for the price, with loads of room.

spinZZ

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 06:22:44 pm »
Whatis the best way to look after your skates and blades? I've got my first pair of skates and abbot clueless. I have a protective bag and blade protectors, and I know I have to fully dry my blades when I get off, but what else should I be doing? I've read about waxing blades? And leather protection? Any tips?
(a) Assuming you dry your blades thoroughly, you don't need to use wax or oil to keep the blades from rusting.  The exception is if you plan to store your skates for a while; e.g., some skaters don't skate over the summer months.  Then a coat of wax or oil on the blades will reduce the risk of rust, especially if the storage area is humid [this applies for carbon-steel blades; not needed for stainless-steel blades].  Note, if you do use wax or oil, always make sure that the blades have warmed to room temperature and are thoroughly dry before applying the wax or oil.

(b) To make sure the blades are thoroughly dry, I use two wipes and two pairs of soakers.  At the rink, when I get off the ice, I dry off the blades with the first wipe and put on the first pair of soakers.  The blades are still cold, so moisture from the air will  condense on the blades.  When I get home, I remove the first pair of soakers, dry the blades with the second wipe, and put on the second pair of soakers.

(c) When you walk around the rink off the ice, always wear rubber or plastic hard guards, even when you are walking on rubber matting (usually loaded with gritty dirt).  You should remove the hard guards just before you get on the ice, and put them on just after you get off the ice. 

(d) Never store your skates with hard guards on; they will facilitate rust.  Cover the blades with soakers during storage.  Never store your skates for extended times in a closed bag or locker.

(e) I treat my boots with silicone protectant every 4 months (I skate 5 days a week almost year round).  I prefer the liquid silicone instead of the more common silicone spray (nasty stuff to breath in).

(f) Assuming your blades are mounted with screws, not rivets, be sure to check the tightness of the mounting screws regularly.  With new skates, you should check the screws before each session, as the blade and boot wear in.  Be careful not to overtighten the screws; otherwise, you will strip the mounting holes.  If you don't know how tight is just right and how tight is too much, ask a skate tech to show you.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 06:34:17 pm by spinZZ »

spinZZ

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 06:28:27 pm »
<duplicate removed>

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy