Author Topic: Best Skating Blogs??? Adult Beginner starting out  (Read 2312 times)

laurenSkatesicenice

Best Skating Blogs??? Adult Beginner starting out
« on: February 23, 2018, 03:42:21 pm »
Hi everyone!
I am (for the most part) an adult, aged 28 who begun weekly lessons 3 weeks ago. The usual story, wanred to be a good skater ever since I was young and only really skated once a year due to the location of my rink. Now I am all grown up and can drive (lol) I’m finally taking to the ice for lessons.
I’m going to the Skate UK fundamental stages and passed stage one on my second week - woo!!
I’ve been loving reading blogs of others’ journeys but haven’t found loads.

I’ve started my own one too if you like reading these skater journey blogs while going through your own. I’m guessing if I am eager to find more, maybe someone would like to find mine too. :D
skatesicenice.wordpress.com

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
Re: Best Skating Blogs??? Adult Beginner starting out
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 05:40:29 pm »
Congratulations on passing your first test!  Be warned that while skating can be life-enhancing, it's also challenging, frustrating, painful, cold, inconvenient, confusing and viciously expensive.  Welcome to the addiction.   ;)

I always mean to seek out skating blogs but by the time I've opened a new window, I've forgotten the intention and get distracted by technical manuals for field moves (or videos of cats and raccoons).  We do, however, have an active forum member with a very entertaining blog at https://dontexcelaxel.blogspot.co.uk/  I'd write one, but I'm ranty, sweary and overly sarcastic.  Also, names would have to be changed to protect the innocent...
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 07:36:35 pm »
I've got one, that I'm just starting to get back to writing regularly  :)

http://eye-see-the-ice.blogspot.co.uk

I'm 28 and as my name suggests, skating with a visual impairment. It's not a great blog, and it went on a long break after a bereavement. But it's back now :)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 07:38:31 pm by VisuallyImpairedOnIce »
Inclusive Skater :)
IS Masters FD World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Pairs Level 2 World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Free Skate Level 3 Bronze Medalist 2021 🥉

The Sacred Voice

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 07:53:53 pm »
We do, however, have an active forum member with a very entertaining blog at https://dontexcelaxel.blogspot.co.uk/.

You're too kind! :) O0

That is indeed my blog, Lauren. Like you, I'm almost 28 (just a month and a bit to go now) and I picked up skating at 26 completely from scratch because I'd always wanted to do it, but, like you, there'd never been a nearby rink (technically there still isn't but, like you said, we're adults now). I started writing my blog because when I was first skating then I read other adult skaters' blogs to see how their early experiences matched up my own and how their learning progressed (I just took a look at your blog and I can see you also want to look for peoples' early experiences!) After that point I just got so stuck in to reading that I consumed their entire blog histories and decided I should write my own as a way of giving back to the adult skating community for all the reading I'd got out of them.

If you're looking for other blogs then my blog's sidebar has a list of other blogs I like reading, but I'd highly recommend Babbette Duboise's 'The Ice Doesn't Care' in particular. She does skating humour in a much more concise manner than I'll ever manage (I love to ramble) and her mastery of the GIF is put to excellent use (though I hope to break into that territory myself soon ;)) Last note: the final blog on my sidebar list isn't updated anymore, but I've left it on the list because I enjoyed reading it while it was still active.

I'm trying to balance writing about my progression in skating with funny stories and random bits and bobs that pop into my mind. A lot of my early stuff is a bit dry as I was trying to remember the highlights of my early learning, because I started back in July 2016 but I didn't start the blog until Oct 2017 so I wanted to fill in the gap for those people interested in what my early learning was like. So all that section is mostly descriptions of how I got to where I am now, but I try and keep the blog funny where I can ::)

http://eye-see-the-ice.blogspot.co.uk

Yours is a new one for me, I will be sure to give it a read! ;D
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 10:23:48 am by The Sacred Voice »
I'm blogging about my skating journey, please read along at dontexcelaxel.blogspot.com

laurenSkatesicenice

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2018, 05:12:25 pm »
Congratulations on passing your first test!  Be warned that while skating can be life-enhancing, it's also challenging, frustrating, painful, cold, inconvenient, confusing and viciously expensive.  Welcome to the addiction.   ;)

Thank you very much for your kind words - I’m quite disappointed you don’t have your own blog. Sarcasm and ranty sounds like a fun read for me!

Dontexcelaxcel is now on my favourites list!

Loving your blog, having issues leaving a comment on there for some reason. Looking forward to following your progress and hearing more about Inclusive Skating!

Leif

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2018, 07:30:29 pm »

Addiction is the right word.

We go to our hockey sessions at 10pm on a Saturday night, to be shouted at by our resident sadist, who gives us ten press-ups if we misbehave. Judges and Tory MPs go to special clubs for that sort of abuse. But that is the class divide for you, Nazi themed sado-masochistic sex parties for the well heeled, a spot of skating or hockey for the masses.

I'd write one, but I'm ranty, sweary and overly sarcastic. 

You’ve listed three key traits that are associated with the finest literature. :)

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2018, 07:37:39 pm »
You’ve listed three key traits that are associated with the finest literature. :)

Jane Austen being a renowned proponent of all three...   ;)

I do actually have a blog, but it's nothing to do with skating.  It's not hard to track down.  Skating may make an appearance at some point but hasn't up to now.  Possibly because I haven't updated it in an age...
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Leif

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2018, 02:34:48 pm »
Jane Austen being a renowned proponent of all three...   ;)

I do actually have a blog, but it's nothing to do with skating.  It's not hard to track down.  Skating may make an appearance at some point but hasn't up to now.  Possibly because I haven't updated it in an age...

Not sure I'd classify Jane Austen as fine literature, just my view of course ... I'm more a Tom Sharpe person, if I must read fiction.

As an aside, Jane Austen lived in Chawton, a small village a stone's throw from Alton. In the nineteenth century a young girl, Fanny Adams, was brutally murdered in Alton, and parts of her body were strewn across a field. Subsequently Royal Navy sailors, on being given their rations of tinned meat, expressed their discontent with it by referring to the contents as Sweet Fanny Adams, which became a phrase meaning "something of low value". It has of course been shortened to Sweet FA, which is usually thought to mean something else.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2018, 02:52:29 pm »
Not sure I'd classify Jane Austen as fine literature, just my view of course ... I'm more a Tom Sharpe person, if I must read fiction.

Pfft.  Philistine.   :tickedoff: 

As an aside, Jane Austen lived in Chawton, a small village a stone's throw from Alton. In the nineteenth century a young girl, Fanny Adams, was brutally murdered in Alton, and parts of her body were strewn across a field. Subsequently Royal Navy sailors, on being given their rations of tinned meat, expressed their discontent with it by referring to the contents as Sweet Fanny Adams, which became a phrase meaning "something of low value". It has of course been shortened to Sweet FA, which is usually thought to mean something else.

Euuwww.  I knew about Fanny Adams, although not about the strewing of the body parts across a field.

We moved back to the Hampshire mainland when I was 9, and although I'm a huge Jane Austen fan (seriously, she's hilarious) I've never visited Chawton.  I'll have to go there one day.  Not to visit that field, though.  Which has almost certainly been built on...

Leif

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2018, 09:18:52 pm »
Pfft.  Philistine.   :tickedoff: 

;D Anyway, you are quite wrong, I am a barbarian, not a philistine. Not at all the same thing.

Psst: Why are you taking lessons from a coach if you used to be a coach?

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2018, 09:42:22 pm »
;D Anyway, you are quite wrong, I am a barbarian, not a philistine. Not at all the same thing.

Ah.  My mistake.  Forgive me.   ;)

Psst: Why are you taking lessons from a coach if you used to be a coach?

I'm not "taking lessons" per se, just go to a session where there's a kind of group class for anyone who wants to join in, and the coach is there all session to help out anybody who wants a bit of help, whether they're just setting blade to ice for the first time or have been skating for years.  It's brilliant and I think every rink should have at least one of those sessions a week.

I'm really conscious of the facts that (a) I don't skate nearly as well as I used to and (b) everybody benefits from another eye/viewpoint/opinion.  The fact is that just as I needed to relearn walking - I definitely needed professional help with that - now I need to relearn skating, and I almost certainly need professional help with that, too.  I have a goal now (to get all 10 levels of Field Moves under my belt) and then I'll decide whether or not I feel up to redoing my professional coaching qualifications.  Skating has changed a lot in the nearly 20 years I've been away from it and there are a lot of things I want to learn.  (Field moves are great!)   8)  When I find a coach I think can teach me what I want to know without it ending in tears/bloodshed/all out warfare, then I'll definitely be taking lessons.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy