Author Topic: Skating Coaches  (Read 1638 times)

Gerbil

Skating Coaches
« on: February 17, 2018, 10:09:04 pm »
Hi - wonder if anyone can help me. I'm looking for a skating coach for one to one lessons. I am an older adult and am finding that I am unable to get replies from any coaches I've contacted which is quite a few so far. I wondered if they would not be insured to teach me as I am beyond Passport UK level. Just wondered. Can anyone advise.

The ice mouse

• Global Moderator
  • I have met a real live Womble - Caffn8me
Re: Skating Coaches
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 11:22:14 pm »

Gerbil

I would try and see if there are any adult only classes. If there are, then you could approach the coach that takes these. I would also say that you should approach the coaches directly (face to face). If you mention the rink you skate at, then some of our members may be able to message you with suggestions. You could also ask other adult skaters at the rink to find out which coaches they are with.

You will always find some coaches will teach youngsters more than adults, and some will teach adults more than kids.

I prefer frozen ice. I will try anything once. I

Gerbil

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 12:00:18 am »
Thanks Ice Mouse. I will do that. That's a good idea  :) Maybe texting and phone calls from a total stranger is not the best way to go about it. A coach who taught me last year for couple of lessons acknowledged my message so that is hopeful.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 12:02:42 am by Gerbil »

The Sacred Voice

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 12:06:24 am »
When I was getting in touch with my first choice of coach for when I was looking to go one-on-one then my rink fortunately had a sheet with all the resident coaches numbers on. I picked that up then just kept trying to call her (no texts) at different times of day until she picked up and we could discuss it directly.
I'm blogging about my skating journey, please read along at dontexcelaxel.blogspot.com

Gerbil

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 12:22:54 am »
Thanks. That's interesting. I had phoned first and there were no free spaces in the afternoon but there were some in the morning. She said to text which I did but no reply. Then I called again and the person's phone got turned off. I hope I can get a lesson with the person who took me before as she was nice and a good coach. Hopefully I will.

Maybe if there are no spaces the coach just doesn't answer the call. Doesn't seem very professional but maybe it's the way.

I won't try to contact any more coaches by phone and will do as others suggest and try to speak to them in person.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 12:25:28 am by Gerbil »

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2018, 10:53:40 am »
Maybe if there are no spaces the coach just doesn't answer the call. Doesn't seem very professional but maybe it's the way.

Or they may just be teaching, in which case it wouldn't be very professional to answer the phone.  The right coach will come along, don't worry.   :)
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Florence

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2018, 10:59:47 am »
I agree with wednesday.

When i text my mini me's coach I always expect not to get a reply until later. I myself work permanent nights and silence my phone (and often forget to turn on again) So if i wake and read a message, I often forget about it until I go to delete all messages! It is easy done, so don't take it personally. Probably more you are there, more likely you are to find out how to approach best x

The Sacred Voice

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2018, 01:01:57 pm »
Oh if I text my regular coach now then it'll be like two days before I get a reply and that's if I'm lucky ;D ::) She's terrible at keeping on top of her text responses. I don't really blame her though, in between kids and her coaching then she seems to have a pretty busy schedule.
I'm blogging about my skating journey, please read along at dontexcelaxel.blogspot.com

Gerbil

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2018, 01:49:51 pm »
Thanks folks. I know mobile phone contact with people as a means of communication is very hit or miss. I had tried to call the coach at 9pm so that it wouldn't be likely to be in a skating session. I'm trying to get in touch with someone who gave me lessons last year so here's hoping.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 02:16:52 pm by Gerbil »

black

• Skate free
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2018, 06:30:51 pm »
you should approach the coaches directly (face to face)

I second this; if they're not available for lessons, they probably know a coach who is.

Also remember that it's winter & DoI is on, so it's probably quite busy right now.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 06:35:07 pm by black »
The greatest trick figure skaters ever pulled, was convincing the world it was easy.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2018, 06:40:15 pm »

Also remember that it's winter & DoI is on, so it's probably quite busy right now.

And most coaches are glued to Eurosport, watching the coverage of the Olympics...
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy