Author Topic: Hockey skating coaching?  (Read 3051 times)

T180985

Hockey skating coaching?
« on: January 31, 2018, 08:44:11 pm »
Hi! My son has just started learning ice hockey and my daughter would like to give it a go as well, i just wondered if anyone knew of any instructors that can offer skating lessons that are hockey focused in either Bracknell, Basingstoke or Guildford? They both havent been skating very long so want a few more lessons
Thanks!

Leif

Re: Hockey skating coaching?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 07:47:31 am »
At least one of the coaches at Basingstoke teaches hockey skaters. I've seen her with several youngsters. There are also classes at Guildford, inclduing Thursday evening but those might be for adults. I suggest you email the rinks. I have no idea about Bracknell. There are also stick n puck sessions for youngsters at some of the rinks.

Carrie

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 09:34:05 am »
At Guildford there are a couple of ice hockey coaches, Andy and Mark.  They do 1:1 lessons for children and adults.

Also, I see there is a new Learn to Skate for Junior Hockey, teaching the UK Skate levels 1 - 5, which children have to have done first.  Here is the link:  http://www.guildfordspectrum.co.uk/ice-skating/ice-skating-courses/childrens-hockey-courses/ 

If you search the Spectrum website under courses, you will find a form to complete regarding lessons.

Afraid I don't know about Bracknell.

Leif

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 09:54:31 am »
This is the link for Basingstoke Stick n Puck for kiddies:

http://www.sticknpuckbasingstoke.co.uk/for-kids/4542076630

It's only £5 which is a bargain. I pay £10 for the 1 hour adult session.

Incidentally, have you thought about having a go yourself? Go on, you know it makes sense.  :)

T180985

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 10:24:41 am »
To be honest the first time i ever wore a pair of skates was November last year, ive been about a dozen times since then but i still suck  ;D maybe once i can actually get around the rink without falling over i will give it a go  O0

Leif

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 10:59:08 am »
To be honest the first time i ever wore a pair of skates was November last year, ive been about a dozen times since then but i still suck  ;D maybe once i can actually get around the rink without falling over i will give it a go  O0

Excellent!

You do need to be able to go forwards, and stop, with confidence. It shouldn't take you long. Regular skaters at Basingstoke are usually happy to give advice (apart perhaps from Ash aka Mr Angry).  :)

T180985

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 06:55:46 pm »
Hi All! Sorry a kit related question for you... i want to get my son a stick for his birthday, is there any way of knowing what size i should buy without taking him to a shop? hoping to make it a suprise   O0

MonkeyBeaver

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2018, 07:48:49 pm »
Hi All! Sorry a kit related question for you... i want to get my son a stick for his birthday, is there any way of knowing what size i should buy without taking him to a shop? hoping to make it a suprise   O0

My 8 year old is also new to hockey, made the team just before Christmas & played his first game just over a week ago. I’m new to it all too, didn’t know anything before he started. There are a few videos on YouTube about stick length & which way to hold it, coach Jeremy from How To Hockey has a few good ones. My boy got his first stick for Christmas & I had to cut it to length, I believe this is something that all players would need to do with a new stick, so I wouldnt be too concerned about getting the length right.

Leif

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2018, 07:34:42 am »
Generally they say that when your skates are on, the top of the stick should be roughly level with the tip of your nose. This is a rough guide, as playing styles vary. I assume you know his height, and you can measure the extra height due to his skates, and this should give you a guide. And as said above, sticks sometimes need cutting down to length. You can also buy an extension. Do make sure that junior sticks will take an extension, I think all composite ones do.

Also when you go to the shop, make sure you know if he is a lefty or a righty! Sticks also come in different flexes - the ease of bending - and the flex point varies - middle or low would be best - blades have different curves, and lastly the angle between the blade and the shaft varies. Phew. A good shop will probably know what to get him once you know his height and handedness.

One alternative is to make a dummy stick from cardboard, and wrap it in decorative paper, and tell him he can exchange it for a real one in the shop, up to a certain price. It might make him smile.  Note that last seasons sticks are just as good, but cheaper. Maybe best not to spend lots cos he’s growing.  :) Let is all know how it turns out.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy