Author Topic: Getting signed off Skate UK/Skate Star  (Read 2209 times)

The Sacred Voice

Getting signed off Skate UK/Skate Star
« on: January 27, 2018, 06:22:30 pm »
Small group coach now has a photo of all of our Skate UK books so hopefully next week we can work on some stuff to get signed off :)

I was just reading VIOI's message above in the 'today's lesson' thread and it prompted a quick question I have.

Does anyone know if it's essential that you get officially signed off on the Skate UK / Skate Star programmes? For instance, if I apply to do my NISA level 1 moves then do I have to provide evidence of having done either of those before? I only ask because my rink's coaches have a somewhat lax attitude when it comes to signing adults off on progression (along with their lax attitude about teaching stops ;D), which I don't mind, but if I need it then I should probably get that sorted at some point...

My first Skate UK group coach was super on the ball with it, but the two guys we had after him only ticked people off on stuff if they remembered to or we reminded/nagged them, so strictly speaking I've never been approved past Skate UK 5 even though I'm working on NISA moves 1 at the moment. I told my current coach this fact in case she suddenly felt the urge to get the bureaucracy over and done with, but she basically just shrugged as if it didn't really matter and it's never come up again.
I'm blogging about my skating journey, please read along at dontexcelaxel.blogspot.com

transmissionoftheflame

Re: Getting signed off Skate UK/Skate Star
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 07:48:20 pm »
You need a NISA registered coach to sign your application form for any NISA test from Level 1 onwards.  I don't think there's any requirement to prove you've done anything before that.  The quality control is taken care of by making a coach sign your form.

The Sacred Voice

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 07:59:06 pm »
You need a NISA registered coach to sign your application form for any NISA test from Level 1 onwards.  I don't think there's any requirement to prove you've done anything before that.  The quality control is taken care of by making a coach sign your form.

In which case, I continue to operate under the radar of skating achievement recognition! At least for now ;D
I'm blogging about my skating journey, please read along at dontexcelaxel.blogspot.com

Carrie

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 08:42:34 pm »
You will need to pass bronze, silver and gold Star as this book, signed by your coach has to be sent to NISA with your application for your first test.  You will have to join NISA as well. Sorry don’t know how to do links on my iPad!  Look at tests on the website.  It shows the application form.  Your rink should have the UK Star booklet.

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2018, 09:25:23 pm »
I agree you have to join NISA but I am not convinced you need to pass the other tests first.  I think it's just a way for NISA to make money.  I am pretty sure people coming from other countries can start to test from Level 1 without going through Skate UK.

Florence

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2018, 05:41:04 pm »
I can't remember if is needed for Nisa tests, I think my daughters coach just asked to see it and then signed the forms? But not sure.

I know if you are planning to compete and haven't passed Nisa 1 they do ask for a photocopy of the completed book with the application form.

MarkD

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2018, 09:13:36 pm »
I'm pretty sure it is essential to get it signed off. The NISA test application form (available here) contains the following phrases:
[size=78%]
[/size]
[size=78%]IMPORTANT - IF THIS IS YOUR FIRST NISA TEST THEN YOU MUST SUBMIT YOUR COMPLETED SKATE UK REGISTRATION DOCUMENT[/size]

and under common reasons to delay application:

no SkateUK passport submitted for first tests

I recall that only one strand of passport (so for most, either passing gold dance or free) needed to be passed in its entirety, and that woudl let you apply for field moves, or dance or free depending upon which part you'd donce. However, once you had passed Level 1 of anything, you were free to apply for level 1 of anything else and the passport was irrelevant. So, for example, my daughter switched to private lessons after gold free and only bronze dance, did FM1, and has now worked through to Level 6 of the dance tests, with no free or elements tests as her coach is a dance coach. NISA wanted the original passport doc (not a copy), which they returned a few weeks later. I conversely gave up on gold free, got gold dance signed off, but have done elements 1 after field moves.

I found once we left group lessons behind, coaches would whizz you past signing the passport doc off pretty quickly so they could get you applying for NISA tests. In the group classes it was all a bit of a melee at the end with the next class starting that it often got missed out.

The Sacred Voice

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2018, 04:43:19 pm »
Thanks for the replies all, I spoke to one of the newer coaches at my rink (new coaches make an effort to look up all the rules now that they've just qualified!) and I do have to provide evidence of having done Skate UK/Star for the Level 1 NISA test, but it's fine as my coach will likely just tick me off, when it comes to it - I just need to make sure I don't forget to remind her to do it sometime!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy