Author Topic: Ankle issues with boots  (Read 1565 times)

Domwalker

Ankle issues with boots
« on: January 21, 2018, 06:39:41 pm »
Hey everyone. Need some expert advice. Bought my first ever pair of ice hockey skates because the quality of Size 13/14 skates at rinks are terrible. The problem I have is that they are quite tight on my feet, which I'm fine with, however my ankles are too loose and wobbly so when I'm doing crossovers or sharp turns my ankles are wobbling and my feet keep slipping on the ice. I've been roller blading and inline skating for years and used to ice skate a lot when younger so would have my ankles would be quite strong.  When I'm inline skating I like my skates to be quite tight and socks don't seem to sort the issue out. Anyone got any thoughts or advice on how I can fix this?

Leif

Re: Ankle issues with boots
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 02:35:24 pm »
When the skate is off your foot, squeeze the leg end. Does it compress easily or with difficulty? A hockey skate should be quite hard to compress, so that it supports your ankles. If it compresses easily, that suggest that the skates are not supportive enough. It could also be that your laces are too loose. You don’t want them too tight, that can hurt and damage your feet, but too loose is not good. Otherwise the skate should be a snug fit, as you say yours are.

When doing crossovers, if a blade slides sideways that can indicate several issues. A poor sharpening is one possibility, and quite common. If an edge is missing, the blade will slide. It could also be that you are not leaning in to the corner, and hence not using your edges correctly.

Apparently weak ankles is a myth!

AlexD

Re: Ankle issues with boots
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 06:46:36 pm »
This has been my experience too. Tight on the feet, too loose on the ankle.

My first ever pair when I was younger was a pair of bauers which seemed to have more padding around the ankle which moulded to my shape well.
Unfortunately I have no idea what 'model' they were

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy