Author Topic: Everyone's just so supportive!  (Read 1086 times)

The Sacred Voice

Everyone's just so supportive!
« on: January 17, 2018, 06:35:47 pm »
I've recently moved my lesson time to a patch session because I need a bit more space to work through the jumps I'm doing (just singles, but I do like a run up!) and adapting to patch has been a mostly intimidating experience. The same session I'm using also plays host to my rink's best female skater (my opinion, but she did win a big title recently and has big future plans) who's regularly practising her triples, as well as one of the UK's few male free skate seniors, who's working on a quad. Therefore, I spend a lot of time hiding by the barrier to avoid their various flight paths and I try and stake out a small corner where I can.

I've felt a little silly being on patch with alongside them when I'm just running my singles as an adult, so it was a huge mental boost recently when one of my rink's other great senior male ice dancers (I'm unfamiliar with his competition record but I know he's won some international things before) that I've never spoken with was telling me in our first conversation the other day how impressed him and the quad guy were at how much speed I'd been trying to take my jumps at relative to my level of experience. This was such a nice thing for him to say and it really made me feel so much better about sharing the ice with them.

One thing I've really noticed about the ice skating community, at least at my rink, is that everyone's surprisingly supportive and not superior at all about whatever it is that you're learning. Like, I've always felt like I've been like that with the other adults at my rink, but to feel it from the younger people as well is really nice. It goes without saying that the the atmosphere on the forum here is very much supportive as well!
I'm blogging about my skating journey, please read along at dontexcelaxel.blogspot.com

WednesdayMarch

Re: Everyone's just so supportive!
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 07:50:28 pm »
Oh, that's really great!  I was terrified when I first went on a patch session, even when it was actual figure patches and I had my own space on the ice.  To be honest, I'd be fairly uncomfortable going on a patch session now, with lots of new people!

Some rinks are friendlier than others.  What I have found, though, is that the better the skaters at a rink, the nicer the place seems to be.  There's a lot more competitiveness and vying for position and kudos at rinks with people trying to be big fish in small ponds.  One rink I taught at was an absolute nightmare for that during the club and patch sessions attended by the "competitive" skaters.  I could tell some tales...  On the other hand, it was wonderful during the weekdays when they were all at work or school!

Please continue to enjoy your skating and your progress on patch and other sessions.  Skating is such a wonderful sport, which offers so much to so many diverse characters; I love seeing people take it up at any age and watching their progress is fascinating.
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

FamilySkater

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 08:14:24 pm »
That sounds so nice! I can't wait until I get good enough to skate with other skaters outside of public sessions.

The Sacred Voice

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 03:41:01 am »
Oh, that's really great!  I was terrified when I first went on a patch session, even when it was actual figure patches and I had my own space on the ice.  To be honest, I'd be fairly uncomfortable going on a patch session now, with lots of new people!

I've never actually been that scared by the prospect of going on a patch session as they're mostly populated by girls under 15, many not even close to that age, and, as a male in his late 20s, I'm not that worried about being judged by them in the slightest. From a practical point, they're a bit speedy, but I don't exactly crawl around myself! ;D I can avoid them if I need to as long as I'm keeping an eye on the rink.

The intimidation factor for me really stepped up a level when the senior free skater guy and the senior ice dance guy started using the same session (they started using it not long after I had so I'd only just started settling in when they joined in). With the girls I can always rationalise any judgement they make by remembering that they've lived a different life to mine, got started at the rink young and the fact they're female somehow distances their learning experience from my own, even though it's likely no different in reality.

Even though the story for the senior guys is identical to the girls, I feel that somehow it is different because I'm actually not that much older than any of them (compared to the girls where I'm frequently over 10 years older), but here I am, plodding away at the basics and my single jumps when they're so much further ahead. I know that they've been doing it for literally 15-20 odd years and I'm never reaching their standard no matter how much I'd like to (something I knew would be the case before I even started skating and I've never deluded myself otherwise!), but I somehow feel like they would judge me by the standards of the male skater of their own age. Which is insane to think, they obviously know I'm learning as an adult and can't expect me to be doing what they do, but I think I suffer from the feeling that as a guy I want to feel accepted and appreciated as a male skater by the other male skaters and I worry about the standards being applied, even though it's insane to think they'd use the same metre stick. And all this is exactly why it meant so much to me that one of them told me they both were impressed I was putting some speed behind my jumps even though I'm learning as an adult with less "lives" to burn if I crash out and break something.

It's ironic that I even worry about all this really because I'm always super excited to see other male learners on the ice when I'm watching the new intakes to the learn to skate lessons, I'm never judgemental about their ability or speed of learning, just excited that they're there and I'm sure the senior male skaters feel similar about me. I guess I was just afraid the male seniors would be more snobby or something?

Well, if I didn't already feel better about my patch participation then writing all this has certainly been very cathartic! ;D O0

That sounds so nice! I can't wait until I get good enough to skate with other skaters outside of public sessions.

My rink always exaggerates how good you need to be to go on patch, but their primary interest is that people are able to keep an eye on what's going on around them and can move out of the way if they need to - being able to stop reasonably is quite desirable too, but I'm mostly doing stuff going backwards so I don't even need to know a proper stop (my stops are all terrible) when I can just dig my toe picks in hard to skid to a stop ;D (my coach has described this as her pet hate! ::) :P ;D) The rink's just trying to create an environment that minimises collisions so they don't have accidents all the time. You just need some confidence in your skating skills and remember to rink hug often before choosing your space or moment wisely and patch is fine for the most part.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 03:48:35 am by The Sacred Voice »
I'm blogging about my skating journey, please read along at dontexcelaxel.blogspot.com

WednesdayMarch

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 09:01:27 am »
I've never actually been that scared by the prospect of going on a patch session as they're mostly populated by girls under 15, many not even close to that age, and, as a male in his late 20s, I'm not that worried about being judged by them in the slightest.

Ha!  Fifteen year old girls are terrifying.  (Actually, people are terrifying!)

It's ironic that I even worry about all this really because I'm always super excited to see other male learners on the ice when I'm watching the new intakes to the learn to skate lessons, I'm never judgemental about their ability or speed of learning, just excited that they're there and I'm sure the senior male skaters feel similar about me. I guess I was just afraid the male seniors would be more snobby or something?

Nope.  In fact, everybody is excited to see new learners, whatever their age and male learners are particularly exciting because they are so outnumbered as a general rule.  New learners means that the sport we love so much continues.  The rinks need people to skate, or they close.  If they close, we all lose.

I had a great chum and training buddy who took up skating in his early 20s.  He was adored by everybody at the rink, because he was friendly, worked hard and just loved skating.  What's not to like?  Of course, most of the girls eyed him up as a potential pairs partner, too...   ;)

Now sort your stops out.  Once you can stop efficiently, you can work on stylishly and then you'll be just too cool for school.   ;D
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

The Sacred Voice

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 11:09:34 am »
I had a great chum and training buddy [whom]... most of the girls eyed him up as a potential pairs partner, too...   ;)

Now sort your stops out.  Once you can stop efficiently, you can work on stylishly and then you'll be just too cool for school.   ;D

As I've said elsewhere then I am very tempted by a dalliance with pair free... Though it would mean a serious trip to the gym first!

Also, my long standing position on stops is that they are overrated to the extreme! MORE SPEED, LESS STOPPING!

WednesdayMarch

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 02:09:57 pm »
Also, my long standing position on stops is that they are overrated to the extreme! MORE SPEED, LESS STOPPING!

:o  Norty.  More control, more safety, more admiring glances.  Trust me on this one.   ;)

As to pair skating, along with the gym routine, get some earplugs.  Because you'll need 'em to block out the sobbing of your partner when she finds out just how much it hurts landing from thrown jumps...

I would be sobbing at night because my right leg hurt so much.  Landing jumps that have used your own speed and strength is one thing, landing something from a greater height and speed, when you've been flung across the rink by some musclebound oaf is another!  It really hurts!  Of course, if you find a partner made of sterner stuff than I was, you'll have a lovely time.   8) 

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 02:51:23 pm »
I love patch sessions 😍 We don’t have a very high standard needed to go on, just have to be about level 4 on Skate Excellence, I think? All I know is they let me on, even with reduced peripheral vision, but most of the regulars know me, and I keep a good look out. If I go to a different session I spend a bit of time getting to know who’s doing what.

I’m a “less speed, more gracefulness!” kinda girl, in other words there are glaciers that move quicker than me, but everyone is so lovely. I remember working on a routine for an artistic gala and a couple of people saying it was looking good - a real confidence boost for me.

We’ll see how working as a pair goes, that could be interesting, although the guy I’m going to skate with isn’t the fastest at the rink so that’s somewhat reassuring!
Inclusive Skater :)
IS Masters FD World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Pairs Level 2 World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Free Skate Level 3 Bronze Medalist 2021 🥉

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy