Author Topic: Coach recommendations in London (Alexandra Palace)?  (Read 1599 times)

celia

Coach recommendations in London (Alexandra Palace)?
« on: January 10, 2018, 03:20:15 am »
Hi! I'm going to be living in London from February through May and am looking for coach recommendations.  I'm also a little confused about patch rules.  Due to ease of commute, I'm thinking about skating at Alexandra Palace (though open to other suggestions).  It seems one needs to be on a lesson to be on patch?  How do people practice if this is so?  And if I'm brand new to the rink - my first time on a patch session do I need a coach to be "my" coach to be allowed on?

I would like to take some lessons (I've passed USFSA adult bronze so I'm roughly NISA level 2/3).  Can someone recommend a London coach good with adults?

Many thanks!

black

• Skate free
Re: Coach recommendations in London (Alexandra Palace)?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 06:40:07 am »
The next closest rinks are;
Lee Valley -> http://www.visitleevalley.org.uk/en/content/cms/outdoors/ice-centre/
Sobell -> https://www.better.org.uk/leisure-centre/london/islington/sobell/ice-skating

With regards Alexandra Palace (this was a couple of years back) I contacted the manager (PM'ed the email).

Explain the situation and you should be able to sign-in at reception leaving the coach section blank.
The greatest trick figure skaters ever pulled, was convincing the world it was easy.

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 07:43:34 am »
AP is less than 10 minutes walk from the railway station with regular service (every 5-10 minutes at peak time) into Finsbury Park and on to Moorgate, or take W3 bus to Wood Green or Finsbury Park.
Nice views, good ice.
Evening patch tends to be busier than morning, morning CAN get a bit intense if the elite ice dancers are in.
But I think a well managed rink.
In theory you are meant to have a patch pass signed by a coach (doesn't necessarily have to be one you are having lessons with).  In practice they don't seem to check but I think you're best off following Black's advice.
I will PM with what I know about coaches.

Sobell has no patch as such, just public and group lessons you need to sign up for in blocks.  Good if you like group lessons though the general level is more like NISA Bronze/Silver/Gold.  It is small.

Lee Valley there are buses from the rink into the City but they are a bit slow, or walk 15 minutes to Clapton station which is less than 15 minutes from Liverpool Street.  Same size as AP.  People I know who skate there like it.

ChillyMum

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 04:35:41 pm »
AP is up a great big hill :o only the super fit could walk from the station in 10 minutes. Great view from the top.

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 04:56:40 pm »
Walk up it in 15, roll down it in 5 - average journey time 10 minutes :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy