Author Topic: Moving from death wellies to new figure skates.  (Read 3602 times)

beginner skater

Re: Moving from death wellies to new figure skates.
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2017, 09:11:56 am »
What make and model are you getting? What level of skater are they suggested for?  My first skates were 25 stiffness and Im still using them 2 years later. I went one level up to future proof them

spiralstatic

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2017, 06:58:51 pm »
I think required stiffness depends a lot on the skater. I started skating almost two years ago in a 25 but had to move up to a 45 after barely a few months and have now pretty much broken down those as well (though to be fair I am quite tall and definitely heavier than the average figure skater). My coach always tells people to try on as many pairs as possible and buy the stiffest one that you can still comfortably bend your knees in, which I think is great advice.

The Sacred Voice

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2017, 08:45:38 pm »
My first pair of boots were a Graf 500 (stiffness 20) and as soon as I got a private coach and told her I wanted to do lots of jumping then she immediately went "You'll need something stiffer than what you have" and suggested the Edea Overture (stiffness 48)

A weird quirk of my buying habits (I got greedy) meant I ended up with a stiffness 70 boot, but they've not given me any trouble with bending at all. That said I have always been a very aggressive and fast skater so I think an aggressive bend is fine by me so the stiffness didn't bother me. It's so nice having that stiffness when you land jumps though, you get an insane amount of support. Definitely would not suggest what I have at the moment to someone making a first purchase though (I've got Edea Chorus skates at the mo).
I'm blogging about my skating journey, please read along at dontexcelaxel.blogspot.com

FamilySkater

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2018, 09:40:07 pm »
 I have my new skates and had a really good skate in them today :D

They are not uncomfortable. I wore them at home a little bit and to start with they squeezed one of my little toes but this certainly wasn't a problem on the ice today, they feel better on the ice than at home so I don't think I'll wear them at home anymore.

I haven't had a huge problem with the toe pick other than realising I need to push more outwards when skating forwards otherwise I catch it, on the couple of times I did catch it I made a scratchy sound rather than a knee plant so guess I've been really lucky.

I'm not completely sure about the laces. I read the little booklet and stuff on the internet about how to lace but then when I do my knee bends it feels like I'm leaning into the laces, is this right? Won't they stretch or something? I laced them up to the top hook and then down again which felt nice and supportive although the laces are quite thin so felt a bit like I was leaning into strings.

The blades are lovely! My feet don't try to slide outwards from underneath me and I seem to be able to glide forever on them, however I can't do a snowplough stop, that is probably my lack of skill rather than the blades though. I have a 7/16 (for those who understand that stuff).

Anyway, thanks for reading my waffle.  :smitten:

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2018, 09:58:29 pm »
Well, this is fabulous news!  Happy New Year!   8)

Sounds like your progress is going to rocket, if you've already workout out how to prevent toe-pushing and how to glide.  Don't worry too much about the snowplough stop, that will come as you get used to the blades and the grind loses its newness.  Just keep practicing it and you'll get there.

Enjoy!
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Leif

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2018, 07:33:46 am »
I have my new skates and had a really good skate in them today :D

They are not uncomfortable. I wore them at home a little bit and to start with they squeezed one of my little toes but this certainly wasn't a problem on the ice today, they feel better on the ice than at home so I don't think I'll wear them at home anymore.

I haven't had a huge problem with the toe pick other than realising I need to push more outwards when skating forwards otherwise I catch it, on the couple of times I did catch it I made a scratchy sound rather than a knee plant so guess I've been really lucky.

I'm not completely sure about the laces. I read the little booklet and stuff on the internet about how to lace but then when I do my knee bends it feels like I'm leaning into the laces, is this right? Won't they stretch or something? I laced them up to the top hook and then down again which felt nice and supportive although the laces are quite thin so felt a bit like I was leaning into strings.

The blades are lovely! My feet don't try to slide outwards from underneath me and I seem to be able to glide forever on them, however I can't do a snowplough stop, that is probably my lack of skill rather than the blades though. I have a 7/16 (for those who understand that stuff).

Anyway, thanks for reading my waffle.  :smitten:

Thanks for adding your waffle to our waffle.  :)

As suggested by WM, newly sharpened skates are always a bit grippy. I purposefully do some sideways sliding when mine are freshly ground, to take off a little bit of the edge. I know a sharpener who runs the blades along an old piece of wood immediately after sharpening. But I love newly ground blades. The snow plough feels really weird when you first try, but it comes with practice.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy