Author Topic: Forwards crossovers advice  (Read 653 times)

Leif

Forwards crossovers advice
« on: November 07, 2017, 10:31:38 am »
I'm trying to improve my technique including forwards crossovers. When going CW, my right foot has a tendency to slide to the left during the push. This suggests to me that I'm not riding the edge, in other words I'm not on a deep enough outside edge on my right foot. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to correct this or what might be the issue?

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
Re: Forwards crossovers advice
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 02:04:29 pm »
Firstly, check you don't need a regrind and that there's no issue with that blade or the edge.

Then go for a lot more knee bend.  And I mean a lot.  Bend your knees like you never thought possible, with your back straight and your head and body balanced over the skating foot, no sticking out the right hip.  Make sure you give a good strong push with the left inside edge onto that right outside edge and then use that right outside edge to give another push when you're on the new, post-cross, left inside edge. 

And then bend a lot more.  Seriously.  It will feel really weird, almost cartoon-like at first, but it's necessary for speed, flow and stability.
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 06:11:40 pm »
A coach once told me, emphasised strongly in fact, that the foot should be PLACED.  So take care to place onto an good outside edge.  She had toes that she could point backwards from a lifetime of flexing the boot to place down parallel to the ice.

Leif

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 10:33:31 pm »
Thanks both of you, sounds like excellent advice. I will follow the advice, and see how it goes. I've checked the edges with a blade angle tester and they are damn near perfect, so I think it is my technique at fault.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 02:40:22 pm »
And you're sure the blades are in the right place on the bottom of the boot for your skating...?
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy