Author Topic: A complete beginners journey  (Read 6235 times)

Lowsider

A complete beginners journey
« on: October 06, 2017, 03:48:33 pm »
Hi guys,

I found this place by reading lief and andys threads, and thought I would do my own.

I have no experience with hockey. I attended my first Bracknell Bee's game a month or two ago, and have been absolutely obsessed since. Unlike other sports, hockey seemed quite hard to get into, so I posted on thehockeyforum.com trying to find some information and the guys were super helpful. I have bought some skates, knee pads and elbow pads, and plan on getting down to some public sessions at john nike to start learning. Hopefully from there I can attend a few learner sessions, I have spoken to the guys at the Windsor Knights and Im going for a look on sunday night.

So no real progress yet (apart from a lighter wallet) but once Im moving along, I will post an update  :)

Leif

Re: A complete beginners journey
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 01:00:29 am »
Welcome and good luck. It can be very tough at times, but great fun.  O0

AndyinSwindon

• When Hell Freezes Over...At least we can skate!
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 03:54:25 pm »
Hi Lowsider,

Welcome to the forum.  It's a fun hobby, lots of aches and pains, but very rewarding.

Looking forward to comparing notes as you progress on your journey.

Just watch out for Leif, he can be a bit of a troublemaker!  ;)

Best Regards,

Andy
Started skating 07.01.17
Currently working through NISA LTS Levels.
Currently wobbling through hockey LTP sessions.

Lowsider

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 04:30:15 pm »
Had my first public session today on my new skates. I am able to go forward and stop, though I am only able to snowplough. I didn't dare try a hockey stop, it was really quite busy and I didn't want to slide and take out all the children. I also tried skating with and without elbow and leg pads, finding that having the pads on really helped me relax as if I fell it (hopefully) wouldnt hurt so much. I must of looked like I knew what I was doing, as a guy asked me for advice on how to do crossover turning. I didn't give any advice, but once I explained my level we had a good laugh about it! On monday Im going to try and focus on going backwards, as it'l be a full rink session so hopefully a bit more space.

Leif

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 06:38:12 pm »
Dunno if someone has already mentioned this, but YouTube videos are pretty good.

Just watch out for Leif, he can be a bit of a troublemaker!  ;)

Behave yourself young Andrew, or I'll discuss NISA levels.  :)

AndyinSwindon

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 08:18:21 pm »
Behave yourself young Andrew, or I'll discuss NISA levels.  :)

...I told you he was a troublemaker!!!  ;D
Started skating 07.01.17

Lowsider

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 11:44:05 pm »
Uh oh, come on you two! behave!  ;D

Second public skate today, much much quieter ice (10ish people for the whole 2 hours) so it was much easier to focus on what I was doing. I managed to practice crossover turning both ways, though CCW is much easier. CW is ok, but I cant build any power from it yet. As for stopping, I feel much more confident now. I can snowplough easily, as well as using the edges to increase/descrease pressure on the ice if I need to stop more quickly. Toward the end I was (accidently) stopping using only one foot whilst the other was in the air, so Im hoping that bodes well for starting to hockey stop next time.

I also started to skate backwards. I have watched a few video's where they describe cutting a 'C' shape on alterating feet, which worked really well. I can't crossover backwards yet, but thatl come with time. Stopping using a backwards snowplough came easily enough, though I did have one really bad stop that nearly put my on my bum. I played around with transitioning from forwards to backwards, I prefer to spin CCW but can do both ways, as long as I'm not going super fast.

Leif

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 10:04:07 am »
Sounds like you've skated lots before. I have friends who struggle with the forwards and backwards snow plough stops, and the backwards stop. I found them easy but then again one of these friends can do the Mohawk and spread eagle which I cannot do despite trying for a year. It's surprising how people vary.

Out of interest which rink do you go to for public skating?

Lowsider

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2017, 10:24:13 am »
I skated a bit before, maybe 10 'youth disco nights' when I was younger. I use John Nike in Bracknell, really rate it so far. Im going to be using the morning public session, as its so quiet at that time.

Whereabouts do you skate at the moment?

Leif

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2017, 11:50:38 am »
All I can say is that you are a natural. A really really good drill is edges. Skate in an arc on one foot, riding on an inside edge, then switch foot and skate an arc in the opposite direction. Outside edges are tougher but useful. You Tube is your friend.

I normally skate at Basingstoke as I pay £60 per month for unlimited public skating, which means at least twice a week, and a few week days too when I am on holiday. Yes Basingstoke is empty during the day, I've been the only one on the rink before. Sadly the ice is often poor. I have done hockey training at Bracknell, including last Saturday evening, and the ice is lovely, soft and smooth. The rink is a pit, but the ice is good.  :)

AndyinSwindon

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2017, 04:06:00 pm »
Hi Chaps,

Swindon is a lovely rink to skate on.  Having skated at a handful of rinks now, it is one of the better ones, both in terms of ice quality and facilities.  The best surface I have skated on is at East Kilbride.

My forwards Xovers are now pretty good in both directions (but better ACW as that is our rink direction).  Still not a fan of backwards, but getting there.  My next aim is to manage backwards Xovers.  At the start of the year I used to get lots of quiet weekday ice time, but shifts have changed around since then and so I don't get the chance so much.

I have a lesson booked with an ex-pro hockey player tomorrow, and am hoping to improve my fast pivots / transitions, as they are currently laughable.
Started skating 07.01.17

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy