Author Topic: Hello - I'm new  (Read 3460 times)

FamilySkater

Re: Hello - I'm new
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2017, 08:40:58 pm »
Got the hang of backward crossovers although seem to go faster than I'd really like. Am trying to do a one foot turn, I can start the turn on one foot but 'land' on both feet, it's really frustrating.

I saw a video of myself doing forward crossovers and was surprised how high I lift my crossing-over foot, I'm lifting it over the skating foot with loads of room to spare, I think because I'm a bit fearful of clipping myself and falling over. Should I be moving it across in front of the skating foot instead of over? Aargh! I thought I had the hang of these as they felt good but now I realise they look odd.

The Sacred Voice

« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2017, 10:16:21 pm »
Got the hang of backward crossovers although seem to go faster than I'd really like. Am trying to do a one foot turn, I can start the turn on one foot but 'land' on both feet, it's really frustrating.

I saw a video of myself doing forward crossovers and was surprised how high I lift my crossing-over foot, I'm lifting it over the skating foot with loads of room to spare, I think because I'm a bit fearful of clipping myself and falling over. Should I be moving it across in front of the skating foot instead of over? Aargh! I thought I had the hang of these as they felt good but now I realise they look odd.

I think "proper" forward crossovers generally trend towards trying to slip the free foot in front of the skating foot in a sort of overtaking fashion, but honestly I've had so many variations of "proper" crossovers taught to me that I have no idea. I try and do what I just described, which does look nicer than foot lifting, and my coach seems happy, but it's definitely harder than doing the foot lift method so it's probably one of those things you'll just build up to over time.
I'm blogging about my skating journey, please read along at dontexcelaxel.blogspot.com

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2017, 08:18:40 am »
The secret to flowing and powerful forward crossovers is knee bend.  More knee than you ever thought possible.  And then some.  It will feel ridiculous to start with and you'll be certain it looks even more ridiculous than it feels but, trust me on this, it isn't and it doesn't.  And once you get that knee bend, you can start to actually have two pushes in each crossover, one from the outside, crossing foot and one underneath from the inside.  Keep your bottom tucked under and your head up, with your outside arm forward and your shoulders facing towards the inside of the circle.
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

FamilySkater

« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2017, 07:59:09 pm »
slip the free foot in front of the skating foot in a sort of overtaking fashion

Thank-you. It actually even sounds nicer  :)

...knee bend.  More knee than you ever thought possible.  And then some. 

More knee bend  ::)
Thank-you  :)

My knees are a bit achy today actually (skated yesterday), hope this is a 'getting stronger' thing rather than a 'falling apart' thing.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2017, 08:23:44 pm »
More knee bend  ::)
Thank-you  :)

My knees are a bit achy today actually (skated yesterday), hope this is a 'getting stronger' thing rather than a 'falling apart' thing.

Haha, yeah.  More knee bend.  I've spent the morning yelling that at various people, who appeared grateful but I'm sure were silently cursing me!   ;D  But their forward crossovers improved, so it was working!

If it's any consolation, practiced continuously for two 40 minute sessions on Monday and was fit for nothing that evening and still not very much yesterday!  Your legs will ache if you're practicing, rather than floating around and chatting.  It's a good sign.
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy