Author Topic: New videos from Oleg  (Read 1040 times)

Carrie

New videos from Oleg
« on: September 03, 2017, 09:41:13 am »
I found this video last week. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2Ro04t5m_g

Hope it works - had forgotten how to post videos!

transmissionoftheflame

Re: New videos from Oleg
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 07:42:56 pm »
Lovely crossovers.  I'd advise anyone to get a decent dance coach for field moves, even if you do free.  They seem so much pickier about edges.  Quite a lot of good stuff already on Oleg's new site.  His old site with his former partner is great too - if only for well filmed shots of how things SHOULD be skated.

https://www.youtube.com/user/kseniyaOleg

Snufkin

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 04:48:34 pm »
Wonderful video, I'm learning forward crossovers now, his look so deep and elegant. His example of "walked crossovers" is basically a nicer version of what I'm doing now, so I'm glad I saw that  ;D Very helpful channel, thank you!
Started skating August 2017

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 07:51:17 am »
Yes, a clever idea to show people what they should NOT be doing but probably are, in case they think they are doing what they should be.

Leif

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 04:04:25 pm »
I was lucky that a speed skating friend watched me do crossovers, and then told me I was doing them wrong. I find it hard to be self critical, not because I think I am perfect - far from it - but because I cannot see what I am actually doing, as opposed to what I think I am doing.

Snufkin

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 04:11:11 pm »
Yes, I agree, I find that since I'm just starting out and I don't know what to feel for, I don't necessarily know what I'm doing wrong because I can't see myself. When my group coach corrects my posture I'm often surprised that it was bad in the first place. She also tells me never to look at my feet, but if I can't get used to the feeling of doing something while watching to check that I've done it right, I find it hard to recognise by feeling whether my feet are doing the right thing in future! I'm glad it's not just me. I hope it'll get better with time.

Leif

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2017, 04:29:35 pm »
Yes, I agree, I find that since I'm just starting out and I don't know what to feel for, I don't necessarily know what I'm doing wrong because I can't see myself. When my group coach corrects my posture I'm often surprised that it was bad in the first place. She also tells me never to look at my feet, but if I can't get used to the feeling of doing something while watching to check that I've done it right, I find it hard to recognise by feeling whether my feet are doing the right thing in future! I'm glad it's not just me. I hope it'll get better with time.

Looking at your feet is a common error, I often told one chap not to do it, and he'd smile back. He knew it was wrong. The reason of course is that your head is a large heavy object, and if you look down you change your centre of gravity and hence throw off your balance.

AndyinSwindon

• When Hell Freezes Over...At least we can skate!
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2017, 07:50:10 pm »
Leif - you're making a lot of assumptions about the size of Snufkins head!  ;)

Spot on though, I try to do the 'toes in line with knees in line with chin whist keeping straight but sitting down and looking straight ahead' thing....whilst patting my head and rubbing my tummy!
Started skating 07.01.17
Currently working through NISA LTS Levels.
Currently wobbling through hockey LTP sessions.

Snufkin

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2017, 08:47:43 pm »
 :2funny: Well whatever ideas Leif has about the size of my head, it seems that my group coach has come to the same conclusion, so I can't fault it

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy