Author Topic: One foot glide help (beginner ice skating)  (Read 1896 times)

NotAllWhoWonderAreLost

One foot glide help (beginner ice skating)
« on: August 23, 2017, 06:21:18 pm »
Hi!

I've been having trouble transferring my body weight over to one side and leaning into the circle to glide on one foot, both on an edge or on a flat.
It's driving me mad and i'm worried i'll never crack it!
Does anyone have any advice?

AndyinSwindon

• When Hell Freezes Over...At least we can skate!
Re: One foot glide help (beginner ice skating)
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 06:31:33 pm »
Hi NAWWAL,

I'm currently going through the same thing.  I have recently picked up the following tips :-

1.  If you want to get on an outside edge, press down on your little toe, to get an inside edge press down on the big toe.
2.  Before you lift your free foot up, make sure your legs are fairly close together, this will increase your chances of getting your balance.
3.  A little bit (but not too much) of speed helps, to give you the momentum.
4.  Outside arm in front of you, inside arm towards the centre of the circle, and look behind you into the circle.
5.  You don't need to lift your free foot too high off of the ice.

As I mentioned though, I am still struggling to put all of this together myself.  But thought I'd share the advice I've been given.

I hope this is helpful.
Started skating 07.01.17
Currently working through NISA LTS Levels.
Currently wobbling through hockey LTP sessions.

NotAllWhoWonderAreLost

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 06:34:38 pm »
Hi NAWWAL,

I'm currently going through the same thing.  I have recently picked up the following tips :-

1.  If you want to get on an outside edge, press down on your little toe, to get an inside edge press down on the big toe.
2.  Before you lift your free foot up, make sure your legs are fairly close together, this will increase your chances of getting your balance.
3.  A little bit (but not too much) of speed helps, to give you the momentum.
4.  Outside arm in front of you, inside arm towards the centre of the circle, and look behind you into the circle.
5.  You don't need to lift your free foot too high off of the ice.

As I mentioned though, I am still struggling to put all of this together myself.  But thought I'd share the advice I've been given.

I hope this is helpful.

Thank you! I'm skating on Saturday so will see how it goes.

NotAllWhoWonderAreLost

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 07:40:03 pm »
I am on a FB forum and having spoken to a few people, apparently my blades may not be aligned in the correct place for me after a skate tech looked at a photo of my boots. I asked my coach and she said she'll take a look on Saturday. I wonder if that is what is causing my problems with getting "over" my blades. Has anyone had this problem?

Leif

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 11:24:33 pm »
There are many things can that go wrong. It might just be that you are taking time to learn a new technique, perfectly normal. However, a few weeks after I bought new skates, I tried my old ones and could barely skate, there was something very wrong, it felt as if a blade holder was at the wrong angle. I suspect they were indeed faulty. However, I kept falling backwards in my new skates after one sharpen. After figuring out that the new skates were much too big, and getting proper skates, properly sharpened, my skating improved dramatically. If skates are too big, the balance point can be off, which I think is worse with hockey skates as they are less stable. If your skates are not properly sharpened, the edges will be off which will make life hard. It might also be that your ankles are not so strong, or your skates are not supportive.

It took me a while to learn to glide in a circle on one foot on an inside or outside edge. I had to learn to bend my knees, and use the free leg as a counterbalance with the leg bent, and the knee held in front of my body. It seemed hard at first, but now it is very easy. Edges are incredibly important as they are key to so much skating.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy