Author Topic: New ice Boots and an old roller skater  (Read 5641 times)

transmissionoftheflame

Re: New ice Boots and an old roller skater
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2017, 12:23:20 pm »
I know a couple of middle-aged plus people who are superfit and skate and ski respectively who swear by yoga.  I think if done properly it will help with anything.  To skate well requires a lot of core strength and body control.  I do pilates myself, find it incredibly helpful as a preparation for skating or indeed any sport.

I wasn't any close to a spread eagle when I first tried, now I find them easy (at least the bent leg ones).  And I'm an old codger really, so I think it's entirely within most people's reach to get a stable spread eagle.

Leif

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2017, 05:51:18 pm »
I wasn't any close to a spread eagle when I first tried, now I find them easy (at least the bent leg ones).  And I'm an old codger really, so I think it's entirely within most people's reach to get a stable spread eagle.

How long did it take you to get the spreadeagle? (I believe you replied to a thread I started on this issue, but I forgot to ask.)

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2017, 06:52:26 pm »
How long did it take you to get the spreadeagle? (I believe you replied to a thread I started on this issue, but I forgot to ask.)

Gosh that was a long time ago.  I suppose something between a few months and a year.  I'm a slow learner.  It was partly becoming more flexible but also understanding how to hold the foot in the boot in the right position to hold the straight line, and general confidence being on edges.

Leif

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2017, 10:25:12 pm »
Thanks.

mcac4

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2017, 04:13:28 pm »
Hi All,
Me, lass and son went skating on Sunday (17 Sept ). I finally started to relax and what a difference!!!!!! The stoking was brilliant.
Lass was not happy starting at Level 1 as she got a wet backside sitting before she had to get up !!!! ( I am on grade/level 3)
Son don't want lessons yet but he is ok on his feet.
This is a great family day out for us.
Now doing two foot turns and finally getting the snowplough stop.

Will keep you posted.

Andy

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2017, 07:44:46 am »
Relaxation is key.  It's hard to relax without without being able to skate well, but even harder to skate well without being relaxed.  Music helps me.  Any trick you can use los that stiffness is worth exploring.

mcac4

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2017, 04:22:03 pm »
Hi All,

Half way through the 6 week course (1/2 hour every Sunday) and got my grade 3 today.  The two foot turn was interesting.  Other half still going for grade 1.  The son is not having lessons, but is getting better each time we go skating (little sod: no fear) and laughs when he lands on his behind.  Really love the lessons and we are going to have a 15 minute 1 to 1 session each with a coach from next week on.

My confidence is getting better but I am still to ridged. But this is improving each week.  Will keep you posted about progress.

Andy

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2017, 05:07:01 pm »
I think the combination of 1-1 and group lessons is ideal.  You get some individual attention to stop you getting into bad habits and to fix stuff more quickly, but you still have the motivation of being in a group.  To start with I would say 15 minutes is enough as there is a limit to the amount of input you're able to assimilate.

mcac4

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2017, 07:27:07 pm »
Hi All,

Sorry about the delay in responding.  Got my NISA grade 4 last week and went back on the ice today.  I am dreading the next level and might get my old motorcycle crash helmet out.  Backward edges and crossovers!!!!!!  Not forgetting the three turn.  Somedays it feels right; others, like I just got on the ice.  Going to go for some 1to1 teaching to get the skills up.  I just have to relax more: easier said than done.  Will not stop until I have a gold badge on my bag.  Won't sew it onto my sports top!!!!
Other half got grade 1 the other week and son went across the ice with no barrier.

Andy

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2017, 12:47:09 pm »
You're doing brilliantly!  And enjoying it, which is the main thing.   8)
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

FamilySkater

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2017, 08:05:37 pm »
It's great reading your learning story. I can't wait to start lessons and progress through the levels, what have you found easiest and hardest so far?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy