Author Topic: New ice Boots and an old roller skater  (Read 5638 times)

mcac4

New ice Boots and an old roller skater
« on: August 10, 2017, 05:43:09 pm »
Hi All,
Very new to this forum stuff.  I am going on an intensive ice skating course next week and have ordered a set of Jackson Mystique figure skates.  I have 2 simple questions.  1) What is the best way of breaking in a set of new boots? and 2) how tight should I do the laces (leave out the top hook?)?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

mcac4

p.s. what is it with the hair dryer?

transmissionoftheflame

Re: New ice Boots and an old roller skater
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 08:07:24 pm »
Wear them a lot - though some people say wearing them around the house is not good as skating and walking are not the same.  As discussed elsewhere some boots (ones made of leather I think) can be heated in an oven and you put them one while warm and lace them tight. This may or may not be necessary depending on how good a fit they are.
They need to be laced fairly tight otherwise you won't get the proper support from them, whether it is necessary to leave out the top hook depends on how much they bend.  I would try lacing them to the top and if they are not bending enough then undo one notch.
Enjoy!  If you've roller skated a bt in the past then you should find a lot of skills transfer.

mcac4

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 02:15:52 pm »
Many thanks for your advice.  Start the 3 day course tomorrow (16/08/17).  Bit nervous to say the least.  Got new Boots on Friday and are being sharpened ready for tomorrow. As I was a series roller skater ( 5 days per week) I hope that the skills will transfer.  Use to do roller dance competitively.  Hopefully the ballroom dancing will help as well.  Will post how the course goes.  Just need to get balance and confidence back.

Cheers  Andy

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 02:29:53 pm »
Look forward to your news and good luck.  I'd love to be able to do roller dance well - I try some stuff on inlines but I lack the flow.  I love skating on wheels for the fresh air and freedom but there is something unique about newly resurfaced ice - an ease of movement, easy, smooth speed, and the blades are so responsive to tiny movements of your body.

There's no reason you can't do both.  It took me a few months to be able to switch at will and not have it feel strange.  It's also fun adapting figure skating moves to wheels and vice-versa.

I expect the toepicks and edges might catch you out a bit but all the stuff about posture, knee and ankle bend should stand you in good stead.

mcac4

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 05:16:20 pm »
The day finally arrived and I was quite scared.  Got through grade 1 and working on backwards marching.  The intensity of the course was truly great and the coaches were fantastic.  Still very stiff and a bit wobbly.  Worst bit was getting up using the correct technique. I went flying. Got it in the end.  Coaches are very supportive and offer some really helpful tips and tricks.  Going early tomorrow to get an hour in before the session.  The boots are great and no blisters.  Worth paying a little bit more for the support and comfort.  By the way the course I am on is at the Nottingham rink.  The rink we use for the lessons is the 10,000 seater stadium.

Leif

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 08:08:18 pm »
Do post updates, it'll be interesting to hear how you advance having done roller skating. A skier has been learning to ice skate for as long as me, and he is far better than I am. Transferable skills no doubt. :)

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 09:29:24 pm »
I started skiing late in life, a few years after I started skating.  I found it quite easy, despite not being a naturally sporty person.  The good skaters in our club who we went with learnt to control their skis in less than an hour.  If you can skate a bit you know about edges and how to use your body to control movement.

mcac4

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2017, 11:09:41 pm »
Got grade 2 today.  Backwards skating much better( felt in control and it was more fluidic).  Still fell on the ice a number of times. Yesterday I did a triple A over T with a landing on outside right elbow, it hurt: but no pain no gain. I have got to relax and bend my knees a bit more.  Doing the loops was great fun.  The hardest bit of the grade 2 for me was the snow plough stop.  Got to drop my bum a bit further and have more confidence.  the other tricky bit was the toe and heal twists.  In general I feel much better on the ice and with practice will get better. My other half was skating today and we are getting my son a set of skates tomorrow.  What a great way for a family to keep fit and have fun at the same time.

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2017, 08:01:15 am »
I started with my wife and daughters more than 10 years ago and we are all still skating.  Beware - your son may well overtake you quite quickly!

mcac4

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2017, 01:35:02 pm »
Yippee.  Booked on the next 6 week skating course.  Best of all I booked the course for the other half as well!!!!! She is terrified but looking forward to it.  Have been practicing glides and stroking for grade 3.  Got the whole family into it now and have found a cheap way to get to Nottingham arena: use the trams.  Lots cheaper!  Will yoga help with skating?  Will update this blog when the course starts.  Many thanks for all the positive comments.
Andy

Leif

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2017, 03:20:22 pm »
Will yoga help with skating?

Well it can't do any harm. And it can only make you more flexible, which should improve your skating. My issue is not being able to do the spread eagle. I have been stretching my muscles for the last 6 months or so, and I am part way there. I imagine yoga includes the sort of pelvic exercises needed for the spread eagle, and other moves.

And yes your son might well overtake you rather quickly. And the young seem far more resilient to falls, as if made of rubber.  In the case of one lad I know it is because of a well padded backside, but even the less corpulent ones seem to suffer less when falling than us wrinklies. :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy