Author Topic: New ice Boots and an old roller skater  (Read 5639 times)

mcac4

Re: New ice Boots and an old roller skater
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2017, 06:02:43 pm »
Hi FamilySkater,

The lessons are great, you all feel like a team trying to get the coach to sign the different tasks off.  The coaches really do push you, but its great as you have your own bit of ice for the lessons.  The hardest bit for me so far has been the edges.  Lean too far and they become very tight.  The balance is what I'm practicing at home.  Just standing on the wooden floor with socks on and practicing the one foot edges. ( good for 3 turns exit practice.!!!).  The easiest bit was falling over.!!!  Just fall and relax.  You see really good skaters on their behinds all the time and they just get up and carry on.

Keep me posted about the lessons.  Going to the rink tomorrow night with the other half. (Skates have just been sharpened, Hmmmm!!!)

Cheers,

Andy

mcac4

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2017, 03:56:47 pm »
Had a really good lesson today.  Got to try and get right leg up to strength.  Years ago, on the roller skating rinks they used to get everybody skating clockwise for five minutes.  I think this was good as it helped to strengthen your right leg.  The three turn using my right leg is very dodgy. Forward cross overs are getting better but still have to try to relax more.  I am almost shaking when I start my lesson.

Getting there.

Andy

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2017, 08:34:25 pm »
Clockwise - thanks for reminding me.  We have recently managed to persuade stewards at our rink to do some 15-20 minute interludes clockwise, when it's not busy.  Shall try again tomorrow night.

mcac4

« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2018, 07:58:24 pm »
Hi All,
Just started my new 6 week course and I am on grade 6 now.  Going to get a tee shirted printed with "inside 3 turns are evil".

Got the backward slalom and back OSE to forward OSE signed off today.  Just going to take some time with 3 turns and the backward crossovers.

Keep at it.

Cheers

Andy

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2018, 08:27:44 pm »
Forward inside 3s were a blocker for me for a long time, and about the only thing my younger daughter ever got stuck on.

I guess they are harder than outside 3s because the free side has further to come round as it is more on the inside of the circle to start with.  A forward outside 3 happens almost naturally as a forward outside edge is harder to check than an inside edge - a forward inside requires a bit more speed and commitment.

The good news is that once you are on the back outside edge you are probably going to be more stable than you are on the back inside edge after an FO3.  Bi edges are harder to check and most beginners just keep going round.

My advice is to take more speed going into it and really commit - and trust that you will go around and stay upright.  It is more of a leap of faith than the outside.  But you will be fine.  If you can find someone stable whose hand you can hold then try that and get used to how it feels to have the blade turn.  It still feels a bit like I am taking on trust that everything will be OK to this day, and I have been doing them for years.  It really is a question of going for it - I think that they are pretty impossible if you are tentative.  I know it's easier said than done.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2018, 09:09:39 pm »
Would that be "Forward inside 3 turns are evil"?  Just you wait until you get to play with the backward inside 3 turns...  :o

Actually, what transmissionoftheflame says is bang on the money.  And it does take a leap of faith to get there and - eventually - understand that they are okay and you will not die doing them.  When I came back to skating after "extended vacation" of 18 years, I really shied away from the inside threes and had to steel myself to do them.  I worked on the Level 4 field move with them and forward runs and after about 15 minutes decided that I love them again.  They are a lovely, really "skatey" thing to do, if that makes any sense?

Keep going.  You're getting there.   :)
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

mcac4

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2018, 06:38:30 pm »
Hi All,

Got my grade 6 and now working towards grade 7!!!!! 8).

This weekend I got the mohawk turn signed off.  The long edges are really tough but really good and improving my balance. The backwards crossovers to landing position are challenging when exiting on my left leg.  Any advice on strengthening my left leg?

Andy

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2018, 07:41:19 pm »
Woo hoo!  Go you!  Well done, that's great progress.

To strengthen that "exit position", practice your backward outside edges to work on the glide, which is half the battle.  One foot slalom/power pulls are great strengthening exercises.

PS:  Loving those forward inside threes yet?  :D
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

mcac4

« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2018, 08:28:07 am »
Hi All,

Sorry about not posting for a bit.  Life is a bit busy.  Anyway, latest update!!!

Got my grade 7 about 3 weeks ago and was over the moon. The continuous edges on a straight line are brill.  I use this exercise for about 15 mins every skating session.  Other half got her grade 2 and is now wishing she was back there!!!

Grade 8 is great.  This is where you put the other grades to the test and combine a number of moves. 

Have passed both my continuous three turns. :)  Okay with RFI swizzle but LFI swizzle is useless.  For some reason I am scared of turning that way.  Starting to get better at one foot spin but regularly ending up on my back side!!!!

The best bit is the step sequence.  Lots of skating moves brought together and really challenging.

On a side note.  I will soon have to decide whether to do free or dance for the Skate UK star programme.  I was thinking of doing the dance first so that I am at a slightly higher standard for the free grades.  Any views would be helpful.

Anyway, got to get up and have a cup of tea, then off to the rink for 2 hours on ice and 1/2 hour lesson.  Sundays are great now.

Best Wishes,

Andy

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2018, 10:09:44 am »
Fantastic progress!  You deserve to be really pleased with yourself.   8)

I will soon have to decide whether to do free or dance for the Skate UK star programme.  I was thinking of doing the dance first so that I am at a slightly higher standard for the free grades.  Any views would be helpful.

My advice would always to be go for the dance first.  Properly taught, it raises the standard of your basic skating and makes everything else easier, cleaner, smoother...

WifaWobble

« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2018, 06:58:59 pm »
Slight aside, am I right in thinking Roller Dance clubs are thinner on the ground than Ice ones?  I thought, with the relative ease of finding a venue, it would more common than its proving to be.  Are you a refugee to ice?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy