Author Topic: Sit Spin Tips!  (Read 1071 times)

StaceyRobertson95

Sit Spin Tips!
« on: July 28, 2017, 02:23:09 pm »
I am trying to get my sit spin before November (been doing it for about 2 weeks now), I personally find the 'broken leg' easier and can do about 3 rotations before coming up. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to get lower and stay in position longer. I have added a link below:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0-VFMTA0H9yeXJZQ25scmE2WWc

Also, I notice in the video, I dont really 'sit' my bum is very much just in the air! All tips welcome!

« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 03:03:33 pm by StaceyRobertson95 »

skatiekatie

Re: Sit Spin Tips!
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 05:07:54 pm »
That video looked like you were attempting a broken leg spin - you need to turn out from your hip all the way down to your foot (so it will probably feel like your toe is pointing away towards your right for you if you naturally have legs that turn in)and keep that leg straight while you snap it all the way around to the front (yours didn't go all the way in front of you). Because your leg was turned in and bent while not being all the way in front of you you can't get down any lower because your leg is actually in the way!
I would also say hold your free leg a tiny bit higher when youre going into the spin and keep it level as you whip it around all the way in front of you. It kind of feels like a snap into the position. More speed will help once you get the techniche so you can hold it for longer.
The start of your enterance (crossovers and step to forward) look nice and neat though! Well done!!
PS I find broken leg way easier than sit spin after having to work on it A LOT, it used to be the other way around. Broken leg gets difficult position in competition while sit doesn't, so be happy you prefer it :) Spins just take looooads of practice.

StaceyRobertson95

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 09:29:55 am »
Thanks for the tips! It is the broken leg I am attempting, sorry I didn't make that clear in my initial post  :-[

I do find the basic sitspin too hard, I think its because I'm really tight in my ankles, I cant seem to squat or even get my bum on my heels without my heels coming up a little, I have recently started doing some stretching that will loosen them up so hopefully that will naturally help me get lower too! I did have a good practice Saturday, I did get some low enough to count but after about 30 mins, they all went from OK to terrible! Typical! Will keep practicing, will maybe do another video in the coming weeks to see if I am actually getting lower or not!

Thanks for the compliment on the entry, worked a lot on this with my coach on basic upright spins  :) I'm glad you said that about the competitions! I have one in November and really trying to get it before then!  :o

skatiekatie

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 03:45:40 pm »
Ohh okay sorry!! I did wonder if you were attempting broken leg in the video but because the title of the post was sit spin tips i thought it was a sit spin but you were having trouble turning out. As for tips on the broken leg in the video - you still need to whip your leg all the way to in front of you instead of just to your side, this will help you get the speed to hold it while youre lower down. Turning your leg in will make it look like your leg is too the side - but make sure you whip it all the way around. You also want your arm to follow the leg youre whipping to the front so they snap in front of you at the same time - think like theyre attached.
Also the same for keeping your free leg higher as you whip it too the front - in fact all of my tips are the same, the only difference in the two spins is youre either turning your free leg in or out :P.
So for your competition you'll need 3 rotations when your broken leg position is low enough (at the moment its just a little too high) for it too count, from your video I think you'll totally get there by november!! Good luck :)

PS I'm working on my I spin at the moment so I can put it in my program, and if I work on it repetitively for longer than 30 minutes it just starts getting worse too because my legs get tired and give up being pulled to my head - spins like to give up on you like that  ;D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy