Author Topic: Backwards Outside Edges  (Read 5314 times)

transmissionoftheflame

Re: Backwards Outside Edges
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2017, 06:09:58 pm »
Going backwards is really no harder than going forwards, in fact I often find it easier.
I think the main obstacles are:
1) It feels strange because we are not used to it.
2) You ought to look where you are going so you must turn your head which puts you a bit off balance - unless you're an owl you need to rotate your upper body without moving your hips too much, and you need a strong core to stop yourself wobbling.
3) Because of the above you end up not skating backwards anything like as often as you skate forwards.  It's a vicious circle.
To get over this I had to force myself to skate backwards in every session for several minutes at a time - ideally more or less half the session should be spent going backwards until it feels as comfortable as forwards.

littlemissengineer

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2017, 06:28:38 pm »
Andy you sound exactly like me, reading what you wrote above could have been written by me. My Ccw forward crossovers are good my forward edges on both feet are good but I lack confidence going backwards.

I too shall be having a go all the helpful advice left above  :)

AndyinSwindon

• When Hell Freezes Over...At least we can skate!
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2017, 09:31:46 am »
Hi LME,

Maybe it's an Engineer thing (if you are as your profile name implies), as I am also of the trade!

Sounds silly, but as an Engineer I tend to over analyse a lot of things from a certain perspective, which can sometimes be counter-intuitive.

:-)
Started skating 07.01.17
Currently working through NISA LTS Levels.
Currently wobbling through hockey LTP sessions.

littlemissengineer

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2017, 10:39:35 am »
I am indeed an engineer, did an MEng in aeronautical engineering, graduated 4 years ago and now work as an engineer in the big wide world.

I definitely over analyse everything from  my momentum, to my centre of balance to coefficients of friction. Sometime thing less knowledge would be helpful so I wouldn't be able to over think every little thing!

AndyinSwindon

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2017, 12:14:23 pm »
Hi LME,

I majored in Mech myself, never went as far as MEng, but it can be a burden to be one of us.

Every time I go to a theme park or a fairground, I spend most of my time analysing the modes of failure, considering what their routine maintenance program is, and remembering just how many shortcuts people take with their PM schedules!

At least I just have to worry about hard ice in this instance!
Started skating 07.01.17

Leif

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2017, 11:14:57 pm »
Oh my, another engineer here too, albeit with a physics training to PhD level, not that it has ever been of any real use to me. I find that a methodical and analytical approach can be very useful when it comes to learning new moves. A friend is a plumber, and he learns quickly, I think he is good at problem solving and visualising in three dimensions. My fault is getting into a rut whereby I repeat the same errors time and time again. What has helped me most is comments from rink mates, constructive criticism is very useful, more so than a pat on the back. I would have thought your mum would be the ideal coach.  :)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 08:08:08 am by Leif »

littlemissengineer

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2017, 07:56:18 am »
Thanks all, passed Grade 5 backwards outside edges last night :). Feels like all I've done at the rink for the past two weeks is edge work and lots of general backwards skating. I'm very grateful for all tips. Guess its now time to put those backwards edges into practise as Grade 6 has backwards crossovers, backwards outside edge step to forwards and forward inside three turns....

PS immediately passed the Grade 6 2 foot spin  ;D ;D ;D love spins

AndyinSwindon

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2017, 09:08:18 am »
Congrats LME!

I have my LTS lesson tomorrow, so will try the advice that has been put forward on here, and I have nice sharp edges now (can't stop anymore, but that's another story!).

Started skating 07.01.17

Leif

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2017, 07:50:56 pm »
I've been practising backwards one foot glides, not easy that's for sure. I can do my right foot easily. I've got a lot better on my left foot, I can now do about ten seconds on the inside edge, not impressive, but slowly slowly catchy monkey etc. Not sure what I'll do with the monkey, I don't eat meet, so a stew is out. Suggestions on a postcard please.

santa-maria

• Skating with attitude
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2017, 08:21:50 pm »
Hi all,
You two made me laugh again, btw..
When I was struggling ages ago with my change of edge on skate UK, my coach signed me off anyway saying in a year time I'll be doing these laughing my head off thinking what the problem was..
She was spot on and now years down the line I'm very grateful to her. I got on with a progress and maybe I was overthinking this at the time.
Keep skating and it will come to you, don't let one thing get you down.
Life is just question of priorities...

For Fame, Glory and Cuddly toys..

AndyinSwindon

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2017, 09:14:19 pm »
I see today that my status is now that of a full member....will this help my skating?  After all, if you're going to be a member, you may as well be a complete and utter member!
Started skating 07.01.17

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy