Author Topic: Off ice skates difference?  (Read 773 times)

Iceskatingjess

Off ice skates difference?
« on: July 20, 2017, 09:19:46 pm »
I'm deciding whether to get some off ice skates. And I've seen you can get some off ice skates for around £200 with the wheels all in line (basically inline skates) or you can get quad skates. And I was wondering what the difference between the two are. As I'm doing field moves at the moment and is wanting to progress onto other levels and possibly do synchro. Which ones are best for me?

transmissionoftheflame

Re: Off ice skates difference?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 07:27:04 am »
I have not skated on quads but would have thought inlines would be closer to the ice experience as the line of wheels more close mimics the blade of an ice skate and the feel of doing an edge on the blade will be quite different to on a quad.  That said I think any kind of skating on any kind of skate strengthens your skating skills - but you may not want to have to used to a different feel off ice.  Whatever you get will feel a bit different. I tried off ice figure skates once and other than not being able to stop immediately the feel was very very close to ice.

What inline skate make/model have you found for £200?

Florence

Re: Off ice skates difference?
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 09:31:22 am »
Hiya,
I have tried both. I found quads heavier and nearly had heart attack when tried crossovers on them!But after watching people and youtube vids of people on quads doing artistic skating, it is very possible to transfer Ice moves to them.  I think if you go for quads you need to adapt your technique from Ice. Also from the searches I did, I found the quads to be much more expensive, even second hand (unless you buy a leisure pair which are very heavy) That being said you  have to adjust a little on the inlines as you cannot be sliding your foot you have to lift.  My personal opinion is, if you want the off Ice to support the on ice, go for the inlines.

My daughter has Inlines, she has an Edea Ice boot with an elite blade (will post link later when not on phone)  She does most things on them that she does on ice. The blades are quite easy to measure and fit yourself.
I have a beginner boot and blade (but I don't use very often and am equally rubbish at ice skating so dont take my opinions as gospel!) But I would recommend if you are past Skate Uk that you get a  better boot than beginner for support.
The off ice inlines have wheels that simulate edges but have only seen one pair standard inlines,  which didn't and are more rounded.

Hope that helps a little, I have a good ability for confusing people with my indecisiveness :) Will post links later x

http://off-iceskates.com/shop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWnESlMmkG8  (Random one off youtube)

Quads ...  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykapZ-KIxl0&t=175s (Amazing :o )

« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 11:45:50 am by Florence »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy