Author Topic: Jump block/ can't jump  (Read 1039 times)

charlottegilbrt

Jump block/ can't jump
« on: June 18, 2017, 11:51:17 am »
I've just started NISA bronze and was working on a waltz jump the other week. I managed to land it fairly ok. However, today for some reason as I was doing the backwards crossovers into it, I just couldn't jump. I really wanted to but I just didn't have the 'feeling' I guess, I'm not sure why because I fall all the time so falling doesn't really bother me. Does anyone have any tips on how to get over mental jump block?  :-\

transmissionoftheflame

Re: Jump block/ can't jump
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 01:14:39 pm »
Well you could try sheer willpower, though if there is some reason why your body feels reluctant then you are probably better off trying to discover what that is.  Perhaps you're not confident of the landing position, so practice holding a good solid landing position.  This clip has a lovely one with deep knee bend and a strongly held free leg: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_emJhcFnXg
Try to feel what part of the jump worries you.

Other things that work for me: Two footed takeoff and/or landing, to build confidence, do the jump more slowly, take a break and try to forget you're blocked and then surprise it by jumping.
You can do it off ice quite easily, so practice lots and feel where your weight is when you take off - not too far forward or back, and when you land.  Make the landing really stable with no wobbles.  It is physically hard to land and be stable, even from a fairly small slow jump.   When you see experienced higher level skaters landing jumps and it looks easy don't be fooled - their core, legs, back, shoulders, obliques, lats etc etc are working hard and strongly contracted and they are in good shape, they do off-ice training to enable them to skate like that.  If you are lazy and floppy in your body you will not be stable and will not feel safe.
I think most skaters get blocks about jumps now and again - don't worry, you will get past it.

charlottegilbrt

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 02:03:18 pm »
Thanks  :)

spiralstatic

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 06:36:00 pm »
I feel you, I used to have a massive mental block when I was learning loops. Then one time my coach told me "I don't care how you land it, on your feet or on your butt - you're not leaving the ice until you've managed a few" and that day I landed my first proper loop :^)

Honestly the best advice I can give is to just do it. You can try doing it by the boards or start with just jumping up on two feet and work up, but at the end of the day you're gonna have to go for it somehow. Take a deep breath, keep good posture, shoot a prayer to the skating gods and jump.

charlottegilbrt

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 09:35:53 pm »
Thank you  :)

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 09:09:05 am »
Some nice off-ice exercises here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Puo_R-3za8k

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy