Author Topic: Outside edges and weight transfer (slaloms etc)  (Read 1876 times)

AndyinSwindon

• When Hell Freezes Over...At least we can skate!
Re: Outside edges and weight transfer (slaloms etc)
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2017, 08:18:01 am »
Morning All,

Santa - agree totally on your point on protective gear, my attitude is that they're my limbs to bruise and (hopefully not) break.  No-one else will cover my mortgage if I forego the gear just to look 'cool'.  After all, nothing looks cooler than a middle aged bloke led on the ice in agony, with a nice crimson stain, and the rink closed whilst they deal with the aftermath, just because pride and image took priority.

Leif - That crunchy sound (and apologies if I am about to state the obvious) can be both good and bad.  It's the sound of the ice compacting and being cut by the skates.  It can be a sign of poor technique, for example, when I started skating all those weeks ago, I spent too much time on my edges (and I know of one or two others that still skate this way, and now I know (a little) better it is almost painful to watch).  Someone gliding down the rink sounding like a (mechanical) snow plough isn't good.  One of the hockey pages described it quite well in that the crunchy noise is a good indicator that energy is being wasted.  However, there is a caveat to this.  Certain moves require exactly that physical action that results in a nice crunch (powerful crossovers and one-footed slaloms are good examples), as the crunch indicates a good dig/push into the ice to gain power.  Also as you mention, with a good sprint, you need a good 'dig' into the ice, and hence the crunchy noise.

As a side note, I've just invested in some goalie pants.  They fit comfortably under my street clothes, so that I can have some extra protection whilst skating, without wearing my hockey ensemble.  Well worth a try.
Started skating 07.01.17
Currently working through NISA LTS Levels.
Currently wobbling through hockey LTP sessions.

Leif

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2017, 01:25:56 pm »
Thanks Andy. No, I didn't realise crunchy ice could be bad, then again I've never heard crunchy ice when gliding. But I can see that it would be bad in that case. I must remember to examine the ice after I have done some crunchy edges, to see if there is a noticeable groove. However, that needs good ice, the local rink ice is currently as bad as it gets, one area is cordoned off as you risk going through to the concrete beneath.  :o They are thinning it ready for repainting. Quite why they can't skim it just before they paint is beyond me. Sorry, I'm ranting.  ;D

I Googled goalie pants and they look like hockey pants. How do they differ?

These are my shorts:

http://www.sailandski.co.uk/acatalog/Demon-Flex-Force-X-D30-Shorts-2017-34722.html?gclid=CjwKEAjwj6PKBRCAy9-07PeTtGgSJAC1P9xGw-WDE3Uvre_7rNaTBNDu4911jZFRzgvZbCxWdGBAohoCdkbw_wcB

They are kind of ugly (a childish design), but they do work which is all that matters. They don't prevent pain, but the pain is gone in a minute or two, and not 15 minutes or more without them.

AndyinSwindon

• When Hell Freezes Over...At least we can skate!
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2017, 02:57:25 pm »
Hi Leif,

Your shorts look very similar to goalie pants.  I may have been a bit ambiguous in that they are 'football' goalie pants, not 'Hockey' goalie pants. 

My ice hockey pants are armoured and well padded, and loose fitting, whereas the goalie pants are a lot tighter and whilst well padded, nowhere near as protective as hockey shorts.

I can wear the goalie pants under my street clothes, but the hockey shorts would never go underneath.

Anything to reduce the pain that little bit more :-)
Started skating 07.01.17
Currently working through NISA LTS Levels.
Currently wobbling through hockey LTP sessions.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy