Author Topic: Adult new to skating - help me!  (Read 1341 times)

NotAllWhoWonderAreLost

Adult new to skating - help me!
« on: June 04, 2017, 07:27:11 pm »
Hi All,

I am 21 years young and starting skating in January of this year. I take private lessons weekly. I have gone from not being able to move through to basic forwards/backwards skating and lemons. Everything from now on requires me to be on one foot (proper stroking, forward/backward chasses, holding inside and outside edges etc) and I am really struggling. Even skating forwards feels funny as I am too scared to losing control and hitting my toepicks.
Do you have any advice on how to hold a one foot glide as it's holding me back. I feel like such a slow learner, especially as there's people half my age jumping/spinning near me!

Thank you so much!

transmissionoftheflame

Re: Adult new to skating - help me!
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 01:04:08 am »
Try to really feel your weight going down into the ice through your blade.

While not essential for a one foot glide, I would say make sure you have plenty of knee and ankle bend - check that when you look down that what you can see is your knee, hiding your toes (though of course don't look down the whole time as you should skate with your head up, not down).

Your skate should be under you, not off to one side.  If your feet are nice and close together when you lift one of them to glide, this will mean you don't have as far to shift to get the skating foot underneath you - try to imagine a line through you going down from your belly button (or better still from the middle of the top of your head).

The slower you go the wobblier you get - though obviously going super fast will just scare you - but try to get a reasonable push to start off.

Gliding with control on one foot is actually not that easy and lots of lower level skaters who think they can skate a bit do it badly in my experience.  If you can do it well you will find lots of other things easier.  I think it's excellent thing you can practice for extended periods and it will reward the effort you put in.

Above all I would say try to relax and feel your weight going into the ice.  It's a feel thing.  Maybe a good way to avoid toepicks is to focus on the weight going through the middle part of your foot - not the toes, not the back of the heel but somewhere just behing the ball of your foot (sorry I am trying this without skates on so can't quite remember exactly where my weight is).  A coach I know showed me her toes could point up 90 degrees from so much flexing of her foot when placing the boot on the ice, to avoid toepicks - so flex your foot.

As for the others half your age who are already jumping etc - first I bet some of them are jumping and spinning and skating badly, with little or no edge control.  They might look better than you but neglecting basics is typical for beginners and beginner lessons in my view and I doubt they are as good as you think they are.  You should be able to glide on one foot for the entire length of the rink, putting your other foot down when YOU want to, not before.  Can they do that?  Secondly unless you're in poor physical shape because of your advanced years then the fact they are half your age is not overly important.  Younger people, especially children, may have a bit more confidence, and children may have more flexibility, but I am over 50 and lots of people half my age are weak and stiff compared to me, and I am only what I would term in reasonable shape - not exceptional.  Once you get into your 20s I think it's hard to learn whatever your age.  Maybe if you are 60+ you are a bit more fearful of falling - if so then you can wear some protective gear if that helps.  If you compare yourself to others, it's a dangerous game.  If you find it motivating or instructive because it helps you understand what you can do better then fine, if you find it depressing and you can't channel that into energy to work harder and smarter then just don't go there - instead focus on YOU anre what you need to do to get better and what your achievements are from month to month.  Be patient and determined.  Everyone learns at different speeds but aaside from talented kids and exceptional adults no one learns to skate really well in a hurry.  It's a slow process that requires passion and dedication.  You have to learn to relish and enjoy the process.  I started skating with lots of people half my age.  Other than my daughters, now more or less grown up, I don't see ANY of them at the rink - I am still skating 10 years later, occasionally mistaken by people who don't know any better for someone who can skate.

Hope some of this advice proves useful.  Skating has been immensely rewarding.

spiralstatic

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 02:51:46 pm »
I agree with transmissionoftheflame.

A few things I'd like to add: push the shoulder of the side you're standing on back, so if you're gliding on your right foot, push your right shoulder back. This goes for spirals and landing positions as well - it gives you control over where you're going. Also, keep your free foot high, next to the knee of your skating leg.
Lastly, do not look down. At all. I cannot stress the importance of proper posture enough, especially when learning the basics. Seemingly small things like looking down a bit or not keeping your shoulders back throw you off balance and will be very hard to correct if you don't pay attention to it early on.

If you're scared of hitting your toe picks and falling, it might be worth it to get a pair of knee protectors. Intermezzo sells a pair for about a tenner I think and Bunga sells them as well - the Bunga ones are a lot more discreet, though also very pricy.

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 03:20:04 pm »
Good point about posture, totally agree.  Arms out for balance if you find it helpful but try not to raise your shoulders up - keep them down your back and pulled back a bit and not hunched.  A friend of mine says "lead with your chest".  Keep you core nice and tight, though not rigid, head up - imagine threads pulling you up from the top of your ears.  Back either straight or ideally in my view with a little bit of arch.  Pelvis tucked in - don't stick your butt out.  It looks better but also a good posture will give you control - flopping our body about will pull you all over the place.  Once you get used to gliding with the free foot tucked in as described by spiralstatic you can try and glide along on one foot and move the free foot/leg in front, behind and to both sides of the skating foot, hips open and closed, and try to stay stable.  It's hard but if you can't do it then you won't be able to do other more advanced moves with the necessary control.

NotAllWhoWonderAreLost

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2017, 07:43:21 am »
Thank you all so much! I skate tomorrow with a new coach so will try this out

iSk8

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 11:03:12 pm »
Lastly, do not look down. At all.

Absolutely!  Your head is the heaviest part of your body.  If it's not over your centre of gravity then you're going to fall.  You need to learn where your feet are without looking to find out.

Lots of other good advice been given, but the fundamentals are about bending your knees (you can never bend them enough) and keeping your head up, but comfortable.  And relax - don't just tense up and lock yourself into some pose.

You're going to be leaning your body forwards.  You're not a ski jumper.  The only way you can do that and stay upright is to bend your knees.  Try it off ice.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy