Author Topic: NISA ice dance  (Read 1405 times)

Ameeh

NISA ice dance
« on: May 26, 2017, 10:21:12 am »
Quick question about the NISA dance levels, do complete level 1, do you have to do all free dance, original/variation dance and pattern dance or just one of them?

Thanks

Carrie

Re: NISA ice dance
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2017, 07:04:23 am »
I haven't taken any tests myself but friends have. Most have done pattern dances only and some then go on to do free dance later on. You have to do them in order.

Greycut

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 07:58:49 pm »
There is no NISA overall dance level 1, if that's what you after.   You get either NISA level 1 CD or NISA level 1 FD etc. Normally if your entering a competition either would give you the entry requirement.  But the requirements for competing in dance competitions really does depend on the type of competition.  For example:

Adult Competitions - Patterns dance competition requirements are levels in either PD or Free dance (or a score in a previous IJS competition).  It's the same for Adult free dance.  You don't need to hold both CD and FD levels its one or the other.

Solo Series - This is the route for young skaters.  The requirements are normally both a NISA field moves level and also a Compulsory Dance level, for example Basic Novice requires both level 4 field moves and level 4 CD. 

Hope I've understood correctly what you were after if not please post again.

MarkD

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 01:14:10 pm »
If talking about testing, then pattern and free dance are not inter-dependent. You need to pass tests in each stream in order, but you can do as many or as few of the others as you wish, as with any of the NISA test streams. Also, no-one does variation dance any more, just pattern and/or free dance, plus field moves which is for everyone, dance or free.

Most dance skaters do FM and CD at first, adding FD later, when starting out.

As an informal statement, describing yourself as being "level 1 dance" would imply that you had passes in all of level 1 CD, FD and field moves, whilst "level 1 free" would imply you'd passed all of level 1 elements, free & field moves. These are just informal phrases, and a shorthand to describe your test level, with no official basis.

For solo dance series competitions there is a test level for each category. This was until previously just being taken on CD level, but an equivalent field moves level is now being enforced more strictly. Point of order on the previous comment - level 4 is juvenile, with level 6 being basic novice. If you were to enter an open, you'd enter CD & FD at the same level, going on your CD level.

There is also an age cut-off for each of the "named" solo series open competitions, for qualification for the British champs. You can still enter when over-age at the opens, but cannot qualify for the British at that level if over the age limit for the level. These start at level 4/juvenile.

Greycut

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2017, 01:32:51 pm »
Oops thanks MarkD, I'll correct my post.  Err no I won't as you can't edit your old posts lol.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 01:34:52 pm by Greycut »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy