Author Topic: Another hockey beginner  (Read 17911 times)

Adair

Re: Another hockey beginner
« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2017, 09:31:25 am »
Hi,

Don't normally reply but I also used to wear glasses when skating, but switched to a special kind of contacts called Ortho-K lenses. They reshape your eyes as you sleep, so I kinda get the best of both worlds. Might be worth looking into?

Thanks, Adair

Leif

« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2017, 02:55:55 pm »
Hi,

Don't normally reply but I also used to wear glasses when skating, but switched to a special kind of contacts called Ortho-K lenses. They reshape your eyes as you sleep, so I kinda get the best of both worlds. Might be worth looking into?

Thanks, Adair

I looked those up, a very nice idea! Unfortunately the reason I no longer wear contacts full time is that I cannot read when they are in, so I'd need reading glasses, which kind of defeats the whole point. I was okay when young as my eyes could accomodate, but now I'm, errr, not quite so young, my eyes are less adept. The Ortho-K would have the same drawback. So I will stick to using contacts while on the ice, and glasses at other times.

To be honest I prefer glasses, they are convenient and easy to use, and as Andy says they add some eye protection which can't be bad. But they are not much use on our local rink which is very humid. On more than one occasion I've been unable to see the other end of the rink due to clouds.

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2017, 09:39:36 pm »
I wear these prescription sports glasses for tennis: http://www.onlineopticiansuk.com/progear-eyeguard-m77

They are great but sadly do tend to steam up a bit.

I don't wear them to skate as my vision is not bad enough to require it.

I jump a bit so wearing normal glasses isn't really an option.  Anyway if you fall normal glasses are possibly going to break and that's expensive.

Leif

« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2017, 01:50:31 pm »
I did a session on Monday morning, and received a high speed puck in the face whilst in front of the goal. There was a loud clang as it bounced off my full face cage.  :o

I'm glad I went for the full face cage.   :)

Leif

« Reply #59 on: September 08, 2017, 07:44:35 am »
It was a good session last night, for me anyway. There were lots of drills based around skating with the puck, and doing tight turns for example, exactly the sort of drills this numpty needs. The scrimmage was much better than Monday's too, I felt part of a team, as I received and made numerous passes, and generally contributed, whereas on Monday I felt there were four good players in a team plus me skating around and getting in the way. :) One lad has developed a novel technique to prevent me and others getting the puck which involves falling between the puck and the player. He claimed it was due to exhaustion from his day job. Sadly I'm sure he was telling the truth, so there is something to be said for spending the day sitting down without physical exertion.

Apparently we had to have a level 1 coach, so the usual chap was playing rather than teaching as he is 'only' level 2. I have no idea what these terms mean, explanations are welcome ... However, the usual coach is a very good skater and player which adds to the quality of the scrimmage, making it more dynamic, with less squabbling in a corner.  :)

Carrie

« Reply #60 on: September 10, 2017, 10:39:07 am »
Hi Leif

You mention about having a Level 1 coach, which is the very first level "Assistant Coach".  The following may be of interest to you:

http://iceskating.org.uk/index.cfm/work-force-coaching/coaching/nisa-coach-application-forms/

http://eiha.co.uk/eiha-education-program/coaching/level-1-coaching-course/

Something to aim for!

Leif

« Reply #61 on: September 10, 2017, 04:45:31 pm »
Thanks. I initially assumed L1 was above L2, but it does seem not. Maybe the L1 coach needed ice time as part of his grading, who knows.

Leif

« Reply #62 on: September 17, 2017, 12:10:24 pm »
I decided to buy a new composite stick to replace my wooden job as I thought less weight would improve my balance. I tried it out last night and I am astonished at the difference it makes. I was able to do forwards crossovers, hockey stops and skate backwards while controlling the puck, all of which were beyond me before. There is still massive room for improvement, and I mean massive, as my technique was so-so, but I'm moving in the right direction. The session was fantastic. Unlike previous ones we were playing as a team, and passing rather than gathering together in a scrum like kids in a playground fighting over a ball. I recall harassing one lad who kept hockey stopping and tight turning to throw me off, I was able to pile on the pressure, but not get the puck. Really good players such as that lad push numpties like me to up our game. We had Bonny and Clyde on our team, a couple both of whom play and skate really well. They always play together so they can hold hands.  ;D And we had Geronimo, a lad with Asiatic features and a long braided pony tail. One lad in the other team is not a very good skater, but he was always getting the puck and attacking our goal, I wish I knew what his secret sauce is.

Leif

« Reply #63 on: September 21, 2017, 11:53:38 pm »
Another session this evening, and I am improving slowly. We had the usual drills and then scrimmage. I made a big effort to bend my knees to keep low, and hold the stick with both hands, as instructed by team mates. I did some decent tackles, including placing my stick across an opponants stick to prevent him getting to the puck, as taught in a drill. Drills work!  :) I had some lovely passes from my team, and managed to score twice, to my surprise. Admittedly they were grass cutters, which went under the board (we had no goalie) and would have been intercepted by most real goalies. In each case I managed to find some free space, with a clear line to the player with the puck, so he could easily pass to me, which he did, nicely so. I felt we were playing more as a team, and passing to each other which made it more rewarding than usual. I was told by one lad not to rush, and I now try to think more, and panic less. I can't recall any gaffs, apart from staying on once when the rest changed over.  ::) Doh! Quite how I missed that I know not, it must have been exhaustion.

I am sure the new stick is helping, as it is lighter and does not throw me off balance so much. Also, as mentioned above, I am learning to find an open space away from opponants, giving my team mates an opportunity to pass to me if they wish. And of course I try to pass to my team mates when they are well placed and can make good use of the puck. I don't yet feel confidant enough to skate forward with the puck, and fend off opposing players.

I am finding I am getting more exhausted during each 'innings' and I think that is because my sprinting technique is better, thanks to guidance from a speed skating friend who has taught me how to get more power from my strides.

I'm still surprised how much fun it is, and that someone who was always completely awful at sports can make a half decent attempt to learn. :)

Leif

« Reply #64 on: October 07, 2017, 01:28:20 am »
Lots more sessions have been and gone.

Last week I went to tackle a huge chap by the boards. I ended up falling, and while down I used my stick to prevent him getting the puck. He looks down, and says "Are you alright Sir?". That made me smile, and highlights the good nature of most players.

On Thursday I forgot to remove the fabric blade guard from my right skate. The others had noticed and said nothing. So we are sat by the rink, and unkown to me the others are placing bets as to what will happen. The doors open, and we go on to the ice. I step on, my right skate slides sideways and I fall flat onto my face. Needless to say I am repeatedly reminded of this during the session. B'stards. ;D

Friday evening was a local rec team session, the first for me. To say it was hard is an understatement. The coach gave me lots of advice, pointing out my faults of which there were many. I was being pushed beyond my comfort zone in terms of skating skills. People in public sessions often come up to me and tell me that I'm a really good skater, which is nice, but they don't appreciate the difference between a public session show pony, and a hockey player. This really is a very demanding and skillful game. Ah well, a challenge is good for the soul.   :)

AndyinSwindon

• When Hell Freezes Over...At least we can skate!
« Reply #65 on: October 07, 2017, 03:57:08 pm »
I played my first LTP session last Tuesday night, and after 6 weeks away felt stiff, awkward and hard to get into the game. 

My skate lesson went well today though, my 3-turns are now passable, and I felt pretty good on the public skate.

Leif - very envious of your progress onto the Rec team, I appear to be getting left behind by a lot of my fellow skaters, as they progress up to the teams, and yet I am nowhere near competent enough.

One day, .....one day!
Started skating 07.01.17
Currently working through NISA LTS Levels.
Currently wobbling through hockey LTP sessions.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy