Author Topic: Edge Question  (Read 2167 times)

kenzie

Edge Question
« on: February 23, 2017, 10:37:42 pm »
So I have a question, which may sound a little silly, but please bare with me. Also, not quite got all the terms down, so please inform me of the proper words if I do make a mistake.

I eventually want to play hockey, but am just trying to do the basics for now. I'm not a confident skater at the moment.

I have signed up for the learn to skate UK lessons, and I fully intend on doing them in my hockey skates, for as long as I can, despite my instructor telling me I should switch. Because I've heard that the two types of skates feel very different, and if I want to play hockey, I don't see the point in learning in figures.

Anyway, although I'm sure you probably switch when you learn more advanced moves. When you are learning to skate, before learning the one foot glide, there is the move when you basically walk across the ice and then glide with two feet. Should this be done on the inside or outside edges?

I have watched some hockey tutorials and they said to skate on the inside edges, but today my instructor said to use the outside edges. So I'm just wondering, for my ability now, am I supposed to use outside and eventually switch to inside, or is it because they're two different disciplines?

Also just in general, when standing and skating, which edges do you use? Or is that determined by the thing you're trying to achieve.

Leif

Re: Edge Question
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 01:15:53 pm »
I have never skated in figure skates, but they do indeed look very different to hockey skates, as the blades are a quite different shape, so I assume they are quite different. For sure there are moves you can do in one and not the other. A full blown hockey stop might not be possible in figures due to the pick, and you can't do jumps and spins in hockeys. I would learn in the skates you intend to use long term.

In addition, hockey and figure skating are really quite different. Figure skaters prize elegance, along with various jumps and spins, which are 'decorative' rather than functional. Hockey skaters prize stability, mobility, speed and efficiency. There is no point doing a nice elegant one foot forward to backward transition when one gentle tap from the opposition knocks you over. A less elegant but more stable transition is preferred. A figure skater referred to my backwards hockey stop as "a good stop but ugly". That said, an ex-pro hockey player told me to listen to figure skaters, as he learn a lot from them when learning to skate properly.

Regarding edges, yes the edges you use depends on the move you are doing. Inside edges are the easiest to learn to use. When standing still, you will most probably be resting on the insides. I stand with my legs a bit apart forming a stable A frame, with the insides edges gripping the ice. You typically use the inside edges when skating forwards and backwards, and when doing the easier stops such as the snow plough. You will use outside edges when doing crossovers, and the more common form of the two legged hockey stop. Outside edges are harder because when using them, your body tends to be in a more unstable and unnatural position.

When gliding on two feet, I imagine you are not really using either edge per se, until you come to do something such as stop or turn. I might be mistaken.

spiralstatic

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 07:03:58 pm »
I don't see how a two foot glide on outside edges would work. If your goal is to glide on a straight line, glide on a flat and don't let your ankles lean inwards.

As for skating in general - which edges you're supposed to use depends on the curve you're following. When gliding in a clockwise direction for example, you'd use RFO, LFI, RBI or LBO. Now since you want to play hockey, I'd imagine since you're looking for stability, you'll want to keep your centre of gravity between your legs thus mainly using inside edges. I've never played hockey though, so I could well be mistaken.

That said, when you're still in the lower LTS levels, I wouldn't worry about edges too much. Try to get the feel of the ice first, then when it's time to think about edges, I'm sure your instructor will tell you. At my rink you usually get the Edge Talk(TM) when you start working on mohawks and edge control exercises but since I know next to nothing about Skate UK you might get it even before that.

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 05:32:20 pm »
Two foot glide in a straight line would be done on a flat, not on inside or outside edges.  You can sort of do it on edges by conking your ankles over but it is unnatural.  I can only think the coach, if they actually said that, was trying to counteract the beginner tendency to skate on inside edges - so saying use outside edges might make the skater get the skates more or less flat i.e. perpendicular to the ice.  Personally I think the advice is confusing.  Two foot glide in a straight line forwards you should be on flats, above all the skates should be UNDER YOUR PELVIS, not in a wide stance.  I think this is the number 1 beginner mistake.  You can't balance on 1 leg, which is required for skating, with your feet wide apart.  They need to be under you.  If someone asked you to balance on one leg off the ice your feet would be pretty much together.

katepilarr

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 10:39:46 pm »
you generally use edges to skate on a curve which happens to be most of the the time. you use the edge  on the side you are turning to. ie left outside edge  or right inside egde, if you are turning  left while skating forward. if you are aiming going in a straight line, you need to used both edges.
skating in Prague and Elgin, Scotland
working on L1 and L2 field moves, upright spin& backspin, single jumps upto loop
www.youtube.com/user/catepilarr

Sceolme5

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2017, 05:59:33 am »
I obey the introduction  of my coach ::)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy